Wylie

Getting back to guitar

Hello, GuitarChatters. I have been on BC for a good while. I play electric bass in a jazz trio (mostly jazz standards, along with sentimental favorites [not always mine] and originals) of bass, violin, and keyboard. While I played guitar for many years as a 'bold strummer', good with a flat pick and fingers, I never progressed above the Arctic Circle of the fifth fret. Now I am ready to learn more--jazz, or something in the style of Richard Thompson--and recently bought a Fender Duo-Sonic. We'll see how it goes! My bass training should come in handy. 

Wylie

• Like 1

Hi Wylie,    so do you have a six string guitar  at all ?   I've sold my lemon Les Paul and Burns Steer as the flippin strings on a typical  43mm nut are so close, simply can't play a normal electric  guitar any more. Over on BC there's a member,  (Simo) who is an excellent  luthier,  mainly does basses, I have a 32" scale lined and fretless of his which is wonderful.   He's about to start  a 52mm nutted job for me with 9mm string spacing, bass is 10mm,  simple  solid body with individual string bridges, custom pick-ups and my choice of  timbers.  I'm mainly bass but like a good howl now and again.