ezbass

Tele Tastic!

Another Tele Tuesday - my home build assembly. Walnut body (weighs a ton) finished with gun-stock oil, flame maple neck with macassar ebony board, Lollar pickups and Callahan hardware.

Plays and sounds way better than it has any right to given that I put it together

tele.thumb.jpg.8ae57e4db9c873ee94c49a2532dbf55b.jpg

• Like 3

Something a bit different this week. I’ve had this Tele body hanging around for ages, so I thought I’d repurpose it. I need a small, low table for cups of coffee, etc and this seemed like an ideal solution. 4 legs and a pack of mirror screws from B&Q and we have the Tablecaster.

18912EFF-79F1-4980-961D-E667433FFC8D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I should be able to do this as I have 4 telecasters currently!

My latest - Rick Parfitt style tele I built myself. Bound flame maple neck, alder body, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups, customised bridge and 3-ply w/b/w scratchplate with vinyl top layer.

Andy

08-finished1.jpg

• Like 1

Rather more towards the budget end, here's my 'Tele' guitars; Xaviere XV-610...

0IJKH0O.jpg

... and (a bit more 'Strat-like', maybe...) Xaviere XV-650 ...

UY7joXv.jpg

I bought the yellow one, one a whim, from the US, at a very low price, and was delighted with it. Our singer also liked it, and asked me to get him one just like it. I searched, and found the black sparkle one, also very inexpensive (even with the shipping to France...). This has a slightly higher spec, but he preferred the yellow one, and I've kept the black sparkle one. It's my 'go-to' six-string electric (I have others...), and is always in tune (Elixir strings...) whenever I pick it up. A delight to play. An almost unknown brand, here in Europe at least, but it's as good as I need  guitar to be (I'm a drummer, so -_-...). 

Edited by Dad3353

And I still have this, which I put together with a Fender Jap body, bound. A Bare Knuckles bridge p/up (Keith Richards model IIRC), a Kent Armstrong PAF with 4 conductor wiring and a chunky WD neck. It has the phase reverse switch and a built in gain boost like the clapton boost circuit

A fine sounding Tele being used here in my Police tribute

DSC07742s.jpeg

Edited by police squad
double post now changed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, police squad said:

And I still have this, which I put together with a Fender Jap body, bound. A Bare Knuckles bridge p/up (Keith Richards model IIRC), a Kent Armstrong PAF with 4 conductor wiring and a chunky WD neck. It has the phase reverse switch and a built in gain boost like the clapton boost circuit

A fine sounding Tele being used here in my Police tribute

DSC07742s.jpeg

😍😍😍

• Like 1

Something a little different for Tele tuesday

I built this one earlier in the year. Colour is difficult to capture so I've included an under construction photo to show colour and flame :

Esq_Finished2.thumb.jpg.b9835e37119ce1c5599620d30528a9bb.jpgBuffed1.thumb.JPG.900040a34a5dd545c125fb79d45bc710.JPG

Flame maple neck with binding (was on the Parfitt replica further up the thread but that got a standard neck)

Mahogany body with flame maple top stained purple. Faux Binding. Hand rubbed "oil" finish.

Neck end is conventional - Gotoh SD91s and Butterfly string tree.

Bridge - Wilkinson by Sung Il with steel grooved saddles

Pickup - Fender Custom Shop Texas Special

Controls - No Switch, custom plate with volume and tone, flat top knobs

Merle Haggard-style parchment pickguard.

Dunlop flush mount straplocks.

A little uncoventional but it suits me nicely.

Andy

Edited by backwater
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, backwater said:

Something a little different for Tele tuesday

I built this one earlier in the year. Colour is difficult to capture so I've included an under construction photo to show colour and flame :

Esq_Finished2.thumb.jpg.b9835e37119ce1c5599620d30528a9bb.jpgBuffed1.thumb.JPG.900040a34a5dd545c125fb79d45bc710.JPG

Flame maple neck with binding (was on the Parfitt replica further up the thread but that got a standard neck)

Mahogany body with flame maple top stained purple. Faux Binding. Hand rubbed "oil" finish.

Neck end is conventional - Gotoh SD91s and Butterfly string tree.

Bridge - Wilkinson by Sung Il with steel grooved saddles

Pickup - Fender Custom Shop Texas Special

Controls - No Switch, custom plate with volume and tone, flat top knobs

Merle Haggard-style parchment pickguard.

Dunlop flush mount straplocks.

A little uncoventional but it suits me nicely.

Andy

Phwoar! 😍

Not a Tuesday, I know, but.... 

The Fender Noventa I: 

Fender Noventa Telecaster Vintage Blonde

If they did a lefty (I don't believe they do at present), I'd be seriously tempted. I've always loved the sound of an LP Junior (Johnny Thunders, Mick Jones), but I feel much more comfortable with a Fender in my hands. This looks like somebody in Fender figured they'd have a go at making a Junior with Fender parts.... Wonderfully brutal, takes the Junior concept and makes it even more utilitarian. If Squier did a lefty of this, it would be an amazing modding platform... 

This Harley Benton Tele-style with filtertron type pickups looks cool AF: 

Harley Benton TE-90FLT VW Deluxe SeriesHarley Benton TE-90FLT Black BlastHarley Benton TE-90FLT Orange BlastHarley Benton TE-90FLT Green BlastHarley Benton TE-90FLT SB Deluxe Series

I like how these have something of the Barncaster vibe to them (the three in the middle, anyhow - that green.... yummy), while also that hint of Gretsch-style from the pups. It's be interesting to see one of these with a Bigsby. They do do a lefty I've seen (inevitably in the much less interesting finishes on the outside left and right). I wish they'd put a more conventional, standard headstock on them, though I suspect I could also be won round by the practicality of an inverted headstock (my first electric was a Hendrixed right hander, and the tuners on the bottom were actually much more convenient in many ways). 

While I've yet to play a Harley Benton, it's really interesting following them online and seeing the brand take established, classic designs and playing around with them like this. A pity that the Brexit upcharges have made it much less practical to take a punt on mail-ordering from Thomann. I'm pretty fixed on knowing what I like nowadays, but I'm wary of paying upcharges and import taxes I can't get back if something turns out not to be right. That aside, though, nice to see a brand emerging at this price point that has a real sense of character to it. 

• Like 1

I also took delivery of this fantastic Vintage V58JD. It has the Jerry Donahue wiring, strat pickup in the neck. This guitar is really loud acoustically too. Cleans up on the volume knob beautifully. Nice chunky neck, absolute tele spank from the bridge pickup

A fine instrument (and a lovely cat called Midnight)

20210311_132050.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, police squad said:

I also took delivery of this fantastic Vintage V58JD. It has the Jerry Donahue wiring, strat pickup in the neck. This guitar is really loud acoustically too. Cleans up on the volume knob beautifully. Nice chunky neck, absolute tele spank from the bridge pickup

A fine instrument (and a lovely cat called Midnight)

20210311_132050.jpg

Very nice. What's different about the JD wiring, aside from the Strat pup in the neck? 

The JHS Vintage range is lovely stuff; I'd genuinely struggle to choose between the likes of a Squier CV and the Vintage 52. I'd probably be seduced by quite a lot of the Vintage range, save for the fact they don't do many of the more interesting looks left handed. For Gibby styles, I think they're far better value than Epiphone, and snapping at the heels of the very top Squiers for Fender types, while being markedly cheaper than either. 

Not sure if this is on topic or not, but seeing the HB pics above ^^, I thought I'd share this photo of my Xavier, with a similar pick-up disposition ...

UY7joXv.jpg zDCkFmD.png

Based, loosely, on the Tele Thinline (one day I'll maybe be able to afford a real guitar :$ ...), the p/u's resemble Filtertrons. A push/pull splits to single coils; the mini-switch cabling has been removed (was for phase change, but too much of a faff...). You can't really appreciate the Black Sparkle finish. An excellent 'player'; it's really my 'go to' guitar these days, for any electric stuff. Sounds very nice through a Germanium 4 Big Muff, and records nicely, too. B|