SH73

Schaller floyd rose or original flloyd rose

One of my bitsa guitars is fitted with licensed flloyd rose and it detunes when I use it. It is set up in a floating style and when I tense the strings with tremolo arm, I have to go in a diving bomb use to get the tuning back but it is nowhere close.

I have lock nut and locking tuners but the tuning does not keep.

I read that Schaller quality is as good as original flloyd rose tremolo but cheaper.

Any schaller users here to advice on the product or how to keep flloyd rose in tune after set up?

It's a while since I had a one of these but I was into them a bit back in the day, and had 3 or 4 guitars in a row with them on. It's worth checking that the bridge is moving smoothly against the two studs, any small nicks and imperfections where the two meet and the bridge won't move smoothly. If that's happening you can try and smooth it off but it would be for the bin if it was mine - if it's the studs you might be able to replace them and keep the bridge. If it hinges smoothly, there's just the strings one side and the springs the other, for how much they cost you could try some new springs but I'd make sure it's moving properly first.

The Schaller one gets 5 stars on Thomann and should be a safe bet, but I've never had one.

When it's in its resting position, is the base of the unit , dead level with the surface of the guitar? If it's not then you need to balance the tension of the springs . If it's not level it just won't function correctly or return to pitch. 

On 16/03/2019 at 15:27, gary mac said:

When it's in its resting position, is the base of the unit , dead level with the surface of the guitar? If it's not then you need to balance the tension of the springs . If it's not level it just won't function correctly or return to pitch. 

I've followed You Tube channel to set up. I think it was a cheap licenced flloyd rose or the guitar body wood is not hard enough to hold the studs steady? I have now removed flloyd rose and replacing wuth floating tremolo like my other guitars which seems to work fine.

• Like 1