Andyjr1515

NGD Gillett 6-string electric in Rocklite

Hi

Now - because I build guitars, I don't buy them.  Haven't for years.

So why have I just spent twice as much as I have EVER spent on a guitar?  Because it's this:

IMG_1155.thumb.JPG.1d8d9092c583c4a236800a6b8dba05b5.JPG

IMG_1157.thumb.JPG.7045bb31ffab283c805b099265c191c3.JPG

IMG_1159.thumb.JPG.5b9739816632b1803516cabdc1540dd5.JPG

Not only is it one of their first production guitars - this one is unique.  The top, sides, back and fretboard is not natural wood - it's Rocklite.  Gillett and I have agreed that I will guinea-pig their first try of Rocklite as a constructional material.  Based on this, I am stunned how good it is.

First of all, the guitar.  Forget the Taylor T5 or the Carvin copy - they are lovely in their own right, but they can't do this:

Nor can I, truth be told, but you get my meaning :D

And it will do a lot, lot more.  At their workshops last week, I could get 'proper' amplified acoustic sounds just as easily as 'proper' electric sounds.

Gillett are going to take it to the Kempton Park London Guitar show this Sunday and then I get possession soon after.  Can't wait.  If you are going, then Basschat's very own @scrumpymike will be there, I think.  Let him know that you are off the forum and I'm sure he'll let you have a play of it.  Just promise not to drool slobber all over it! xD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cato said:

I presume that you'll be reversing engineering this to incorparate the best features into your own designs?

Seriously though, that's a very nice looking , and (judging by the video) sounding guitar.

No - apart from the issue of patents (a very wise move), trust me - this is SO out my league in SO many ways xD

I'm going to ask Gillett if they intend to show some of the photos of the innards and machining.  I can understand if they didn't want to, but some people (me for instance) would have to buy one for no better reason than the technical wizardry and the engineering mastery.  It's jaw dropping.  I reckon they could sell these to people who don't even play guitar! xD

• Like 1