EdwardMarlowe

Ever have seller's regret?

Ever part with something that then regret it later, especially if you can't replace it? I'm planning to thin my collection significantly this year by five or six guitars, one amp, one 2x12, and maybe a pedal or two. Most of it, even if unlikely to be replaceable, is not a problem - I'll never need the volume of the Bassman 100; the Westone Thunder IA & THunder IA bass are not my style, the Squier P Bass special has bee replaced by a nicer P-type. I plan to use the money raised to buy a few things I'd rather have - a Godin 5th Ave type archtop, a Fender Player Strat, a Player P-bass, maybe....    I do have a couple of bits in my collection I'm considering selling that I'm wary of. Having given it a lot of thought, I realise I really am totally over Les Pauls. Thing is, I have a really very nice MIK 1998 Epi LP Std with a lovely top and burst, well above the average, lovely player.... I don't reach for it ahead of my Fenders and wouldn't buy it now, just not sure I don't want more for it than the market values it at, or if I'll regret letting it go at market value.... The other thing I'm halfway tempted to sell is my 1994 EH-Sovtek green Big Muff - in mint condition, still in the original wooden box. I'm totally satisfied that I won't 'need' it again - if I ever do want that sound again, I've tried the reissues and they get it, plus there are a lot of great fuzzes out there. Still, there's also a part of me that thinks that if I hold on to it for a fw more years, it'll outright buy me that Player Strat rather than get 60% of the way there..... Ha..... 

Ever sold something and then regretted it - or regretted holding on to it too long? 

I used to be a 'just keep everything' guy, but the wife-to-be will need space for her stuff, and in an inner London two-bed flat it does get hard to justify the storage space, especially if it means there's less room for stuff I actually want and will use....

I've had a few I've missed, from when I was younger and always had to sell one to fund another mainly. My first "proper" guitar was an Ibanez lawsuit Les Paul, set neck and everything, I remember that being very nice - but, am I remembering how it really was? Same for the Ibanez Destroyer I had for a while. I sort of miss my Orange valve head but I don't miss lugging it around.

• Like 1

My Yammy SA2000. I really got into playing country and that semi didn’t seem ‘right’ at the time; what a mistake to make.

Fender Ash Lite Tele. It wasn’t being played, but I should’ve just kept it as I pretty much replaced it many years later with a not as good model.

My first ‘good’ guitar, an Aria lawsuit LP. I replaced the pickups with DiMarzio SDHBs and it was an absolute monster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Those lawsuit guitars are the sort of thing I have in mind - especially when somebody says "oh yeah, swapped it for a plywood Squier in 1989, now it's worth a grand....'. ;) 

I posted a picture of me playing my Aria here 

• Like 1

My Fender 50th Anniversary Stratocaster. U.S. made in 1996 to celebrate 50 years of the company.There's a lot of tosh talked about the various models they brought out at about that time, but this is the series of special limited editions of their primary model ranges - 2500 for each of them except the Strat and - I think - P-bass Lefties, which were limited to 250 worldwide and 50 of each to the UK market IIRC. Not a custom shop guitar as such, just a very nicely made guitar with one or two unusual touches. Actually gigged it a couple of times too.

Guitars - even expensive ones - come and go, but that one was a bit special to me. Not particularly valuable I don't think (perhaps a bit extra for the Lefty rarity), but even so... :(

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1

Probably this

gretsch.thumb.jpg.b5f1f214ca836a3d5f398afe26d398c8.jpg

Had the nicest neck I'd ever played on an electric, but when it came down to it I just didn't quite get on with the single coil dynasonic pickups. Sold it as I thought you'd need to do some routing to fit filtertrons. Only found out after TV Jones made filters to fit a dyno hole. Doh! 

Of course then theres the one that got away. A 1964 Gretsch Viking Wunjo Guitars had for an age. I played it last summer - it had knackered binding, the original (stupid) bridge had been replaced, someone had dicked around with the electrics .... but boy it had mojo and just that sound. 

Nearly pulled the trigger at two grand. Just before Christmas they reduced it to £1500. As I was (and still am) overseas I dithered for a few days and predictably it went. Double Doh! 

• Like 1

Sold one of these brilliantly named lil fellas on the low end version of this very board...

Have been looking for an analog sounding delay that does what it does, as well as it does, since. But where's the fun in just buying another one?

preview_2.jpg

• Like 1

Two. Many years ago, I swapped my 1980s Squier Strat (bought new) with a colleague for his Roland U10 which I finished up never using. And more recently (about 15 years ago), I sold a Gordon Smith - a GS6 IIRC. I rather wish I'd kept that.

• Like 1