EliasMooseblaster

Which Tube Screamer?

I've been wondering for some time whether I should invest in a TS - I've always liked the sound, and now I see that there is a miniature version which is a lot cheaper than many of the other variants. (And, as anyone who knows me will tell you, a low price is always a good motivator!)

The TS-mini is apparently a miniaturised version of the "classic" TS-808, but I'm aware that some people favour the later TS-9 version.

Set up will be Tele or SG -> [pedal] -> Blackstar HT-1.

Would you get the miniature pedal, or save up the additional for a TS-9 (or even a normal TS-808, or some other variant)?

I had stumbled across the Bonsai in my searches, and I will admit to being tempted just to bite the bullet and buy one of those instead! Thanks for the link to the Anderton's video - it's impressive how much variation people have managed to wring out of that design with various mods over the years...and actually, it's reassured me that I'd probably only use two or three of the nine modes if I did buy one!

A little update to announce that my quest is at an end.

My dilemma began with the choice of TS9 vs TS808, and it ended on that theme without me having to make a decision. I was fortunate enough to stumble across a (very cheap) Chinese clone called the "Tubescreamer Demon" - same controls as a regular TS (Drive, Tone, Level) plus a toggle switch to flick betwen TS9 and TS808 modes.

In short, both circuits in one pedal, for a fraction of the price. I'm sure the audiophiles will be able to play with it and tell me where it's lacking over the original Ibanez pedal(s), but it does the job as far as my ear can tell.

The only drawback is that they labelled all the controls in Comic Sans...

• Like 1

I use the Keeley TS-808 and noticed a difference in the range and quality of the sound, but they're expensive.

As has been said, try the JHS Bonsai and you get a choice of all the different ones and I think the Keeley Mod might also be in there.

As an alternative, the Nobels ODR-1 is very good and cheap.

On 22/10/2018 at 13:53, EliasMooseblaster said:

A little update to announce that my quest is at an end.

My dilemma began with the choice of TS9 vs TS808, and it ended on that theme without me having to make a decision. I was fortunate enough to stumble across a (very cheap) Chinese clone called the "Tubescreamer Demon" - same controls as a regular TS (Drive, Tone, Level) plus a toggle switch to flick betwen TS9 and TS808 modes.

In short, both circuits in one pedal, for a fraction of the price. I'm sure the audiophiles will be able to play with it and tell me where it's lacking over the original Ibanez pedal(s), but it does the job as far as my ear can tell.

The only drawback is that they labelled all the controls in Comic Sans...

Been looking at that one on eBay myself. I have a few of those cheap mini-pedals. So far they're as well-built as anything else I've handled, and sound as good. WE'll see if they last as long, though TBH in my experience as long as they're in a decent shell one pedal is much the same as another (asided form the subjectives of 'good sound') until you're into the big money. For some reason, I often feel more creative with cheapos.

On 30/10/2019 at 10:06, EdwardMarlowe said:

Been looking at that one on eBay myself. I have a few of those cheap mini-pedals. So far they're as well-built as anything else I've handled, and sound as good. WE'll see if they last as long, though TBH in my experience as long as they're in a decent shell one pedal is much the same as another (asided form the subjectives of 'good sound') until you're into the big money. For some reason, I often feel more creative with cheapos.

I remain very pleased with mine: it's still making all the right sounds (as far as I can tell), and its 9V DC socket works as well, which is the only issue I've had with cheap pedals previously!  I'm no stranger to the cheaper end of the market as I also own a couple of Joyo guitar pedals, and only recently moved on my Behringer BDI21 for bass (issues with the aforementioned 9V DC, among other things).

I know what you mean - there is a slightly liberating feeling of "well, this only cost me £30; if I don't like it, I haven't lost very much" - not to mention the spirit of "well, of course I'll try it with all the controls maxed...if it bursts into flames, I've only lost £30..."

• Like 1