R32

Acoustic amplifier?

Hey everyone,

just curious as to whether anyone has any thoughts on a good acoustic amp? I had a roland street cube for a while and really liked it and am now in the market for a new amp. To be honest, it’ll probably spend most of its working life in the house but may occasionally make a trip out….

I also have a Marshall AS 50 which I like for both guitar and ukulele. It has a decent rather than stellar sound. I don't like the chorus to be honest, but the reverb is pretty good. I have tended to use mine with a floor preamp as I prefer the sound of my soundhole pickup through the preamp rather than straight in, but piezo pickup sounds good just into the amp. I have tried a couple of others too in a fit of GAS, nothing wrong with any of them (the Roland street cube, Ashdown Radiator, Laney AH80, Carlsbro Sherwood), but the reason I keep coming back to the Marshall (this is the third one I have bought) is that, to my ears, the DI output sounds close to the sound when sat in front of the speaker, so i can use it for monitoring and know that the adjustments I make sound similar out front.

I am sure some of the AER etc combos are better overall sound quality, but my Marshall was only £150 and it has a more than acceptable sound.

• Like 1

Thanks randythoades! I hadn’t really considered a marshall but it’s a good call - I’ll have a look around and see whether there are any I can try! I’m looking for a natural sound and, as much as I enjoyed the volume of the street cube, I never quite enjoyed the tone as much!

cheers