Cato

Gibson 2019 Les Pauls

I thought I may as well pop this up here.

OK, it's Andertons and as much as I enjoy a lot of their content, I understand that they exist to sell guitars and that they're not going to say anything that's going to p*ss off one of their major suppliers.

Bearing all that in mind they do seem pretty positive about the new range and I think their take on some of the fanboy's moans about the new Standards are entirely valid.

Well, they certainly sound like Les Pauls! Guess it's hard to tell without actually playing one, but I would have thought the coil-tapping/phase-switching would be useful features to include on a modern range.

Anyone care to clarify what exactly the "blowout" switch is that they kept referring to on one of the models?

1 hour ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Well, they certainly sound like Les Pauls! Guess it's hard to tell without actually playing one, but I would have thought the coil-tapping/phase-switching would be useful features to include on a modern range.

What's odd is that Epiphone have included coil taps on their LPs (and other models) for years.

The coil taps are a major plus point for me.

I think the reservations from the purists are rooted in the Gibson vs Fender/humbuckers vs single coils school of thought.

But for the rest of us, if you can have both on one guitar, why wouldn't you?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cato said:

But for the rest of us, if you can have both on one guitar, why wouldn't you?

Quite. I shopped around for a Telecaster because I wanted a SC guitar; when I found one with two HBs and a coil tap it seemed like the best of both worlds! I do believe the Wilkinsons I popped into my SG copy could also be tapped if I were to buy some switches or push/pull pots to connect the extra wires, and I am tempted every now and then.

• Like 1

Depends what you want. really. I realised years ago that I don't feel any real interest in the whole 'palette of sound' thang; I prefer my guitars to be fairly simple.... Well,  I mean, I like Strats, but....  ;) There's only so many options you can load into a guitar before they become nice and everything, but most people won't use them.  I guess a lot of guys buy into the Les Paul Sound thing, and don't feel the need of the other bits. I'm sure it might appeal to other people. I wouldn't buy a Gibson expecting it to sound like a Fender, but if the coil tap makes those HBs sound like Gibby's real star pup, the p90, well... 

I suppose the key thing is that it's optional. The biggest pitfall would be to create something which has so many options, it's impossible to find the "classic" sound(s) that you expect, e.g., a Les Paul to produce. As long as the core tone is all present and correct, you have a simple, usable option, without being forced to explore the additional bells and whistles...but if they can't get that right, then they're really in trouble!

• Like 2