warwickhunt

'Bloom' when playing Electro Acoustic live... solutions.

I'm new to gigging acoustic guitar live (duo) as I'm a dyed in the wool bass player BUT... I am loving it.  However, when putting my Simon & Patrick through the PA and or Ashdown Acoustic Radiator combo I'm finding I'm getting a swell/bloom on the bass end.  I've got a notch filter on the amp + I've also tried running it through a BBE acoustic preamp pedal with another notch filter but I'm finding that filtering it just seems to move the resonant frequency up/down a bit.  I should add that I've used the desks lo-cut to take out everything below 60hz (could be 80hz I'll need to check).  

I should add this isn't at mega volumes.  

Any easy solutions or tips?  

39 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

...I'm getting a swell/bloom on the bass end...

Do you have a sound-hole plug..? That will cut down some of the resonance. A bit more of a faff, but you might try using a mic on the guitar, and have the electro just as 'support' for the mic (so low volume...). Change the orientation of the combo (if it's behind you, put it in front, facing you..?). Sometimes (extreme cases...), a 'lesser' guitar comes across better (it's a funny ol' world...). Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

Edited by Dad3353

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Do you have a sound-hole plug..? That will cut down some of the resonance. A bit more of a faff, but you might try using a mic on the guitar, and have the electro just as 'support' for the mic (so low volume...). Change the orientation of the combo (if it's behind you, put it in front, facing you..?). Sometimes (extreme cases...), a 'lesser' guitar comes across better (it's a funny ol' world...). Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

I'll try and source a bung as a first step.  As it happens the combo is only used as a monitor, so is on the floor front and tilted back.  I go guitar > BBE preamp = (split) PA/combo (monitor).  I'd be getting into a whole other level if I started to mic the acoustic, so that would be a last result.  Thanks for the input though.  :)

• Thanks 1

if you are just using it as a monitor then try getting it as close to your ears as you can (with as low a volume as is possible)  I used to use a Marshall AS50 for exactly the same thing and had a similar issue, i swapped to a tiny Trace acoustic cube on a stand high up and it was much better, you would be welcome to try out the Trace if you want as i'm mainly using IEM's for acoustic at the moment and i'm not far from you in Newcastle.

Matt

• Like 1

No worries, the offer stands if you ever want to try it, the trace is about as tiny as acoustic amps gets, the whole thing is only 8" cube and is designed to mount on a mic stand (it has a threaded boss built into the base.) 

Matt 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Matt P said:

No worries, the offer stands if you ever want to try it, the trace is about as tiny as acoustic amps gets, the whole thing is only 8" cube and is designed to mount on a mic stand (it has a threaded boss built into the base.) 

Matt 

Cheers Matt, I'll certainly bear it in mind.  ;)

• Like 1