warwickhunt

Strings for a Taylor GS Mini... presently too 'harsh'

Don't shoot me... I've owned the Taylor 5 years and it still has the original Elixir strings on (and they aren't wrecked) and I've always found them fine when strumming acoustically in the house.  However, I'm at the point where I'm needing to gig this and amplified it is just too harsh/brash.  I realise this is partly down to the smaller body and I have tried to EQ it but I'm at the point where I'm wondering if certain strings might tame the tone.  To put this in context I have a S&P EA and it sounds fine through an amp or PA with minimal EQ (Martin strings).  

I don't want to start buying/trying loads of brands especially if experienced guys can give pointers toward possible solutions.  

Cheers.

I doubt that a change of strings alone will change the characteristics of the guitar all that much (I use Elixirs, too...). If the pre-amp in the guitar isn't producing the 'native' tone of the instrument, I'd look towards changing the pre-amp (radical, I know, but...). As a 'stop-gap', try using an acoustic guitar emulation pedal, feeding the Taylor into it..?
Just checking... Is the Taylor going into a piezo-friendly system..? Piezo's, even good ones, can be harsh if fed into a straight 'intrument' channel. Maybe a buffer needed..? Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

I've tried the Taylor via a dedicated preamp (BBE) and into a dedicated acoustic combo (Ashdown Radiator) as well as the PA which has a guitar buffered preamp (Allen & Heath).  I agree that it is likely the inherent tone as the Simon & Patrick has no such harshness when going into the preamp or combo and that likely has a very cheap internal preamp/buffer compared to the Taylor.  I may have to accept it just can't sound how I want it to sound and either trade or sell to get something which fits with what I want to hear.  

• Thanks 1