Deedee

Recommend me a home practice amp

Hi all

I’ve been steering more toward playing guitar at home of late. Issue is I’m completely out of touch with suitable guitar amps for home practice (the last guitar amp I bought was a Laney Linebacker 65R about 30 years ago)!

I’m after something quiet enough for home (no gigging planned), definitely with reverb and possibly with a few of the other bells and whistles that some amps have nowadays, if it avoids me needing to get pedals.

What would you recommend?

Cheers

How quiet of a "home volume" are we talking? Are we talking detached house with forgiving neighbours, or "I live in a flat and my neighbours are annoyed at the slightest noise", or whatever point in between?

Also, what kind of guitar do you play, what genres of music do you play, are you okay with wearing headphones?

The more info you can give the better.

Many larger amps have options to run at much reduced wattage for home use. The Vox AD range are stupidly cheap second hand, around £100-150 will get you an AD100VT with built in effects and amp simulators. They are heavy though.

11 hours ago, AnAnInginAneAnA said:

How quiet of a "home volume" are we talking? Are we talking detached house with forgiving neighbours, or "I live in a flat and my neighbours are annoyed at the slightest noise", or whatever point in between?

Also, what kind of guitar do you play, what genres of music do you play, are you okay with wearing headphones?

The more info you can give the better.

For context I play my bass at home through an old school Trace 250 head into a Barefaced Four10, but I can play it quietly. The volume adjustment is such that I can play it and it still sounds like it should without annoying the neighbours. Therefore I want a guitar amp that I can control the volume of without it sounding shite and without a ‘notchy’ volume pot (ie all or nothing).

10 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Many larger amps have options to run at much reduced wattage for home use. The Vox AD range are stupidly cheap second hand, around £100-150 will get you an AD100VT with built in effects and amp simulators. They are heavy though.

Thanks. I did reply to an ad on here for an AD60, then realised it was months old 🤦🏼‍♂️. Weight isn’t an issue as it won’t be going anywhere. I’ll keep an eye out. 

I would recommend buying a digital multi effect board, like the Mooer GE300 or something. Think of it. You get all of the effects in the world; you can use your guitar with headset and be as loud or quite as you like; and you can also connect your board to any computer speakers and play your guitar out loud.

On 25/04/2022 at 18:04, Deedee said:

For context I play my bass at home through an old school Trace 250 head into a Barefaced Four10, but I can play it quietly. The volume adjustment is such that I can play it and it still sounds like it should without annoying the neighbours. Therefore I want a guitar amp that I can control the volume of without it sounding shite and without a ‘notchy’ volume pot (ie all or nothing).

To be honest I’ve just tried it through my Trace/BF/Zoom B3 and it sounds wonderful. Who knew? 🤷🏼‍♂️🤣

Edited by Deedee
Typo

On 25/04/2022 at 21:45, Deedee said:

Ooh that THR5 looks interesting, I may take a deeper delve. Thanks 

Having not gigged on guitar much for a good few years, I bought one of these a few months back when i suddenly found myself with a number of guitar dep gigs and didn't want to haul out my JC120 or Fender Twin which love to be played loud.

I love it. The effects are a bit OTT for my taste but the reverb is fine and it is great for playing music through from an ipod or mp3 player. 

Edited by jazzyvee

Home Practice amp, Blackstar fly 103, or anything 10w and under NOW that is home practice amp, There is even a plug n play style it is the amp, speaker plugs into jack about the size of an altoids tin I guess, Viable for home practice not that one could not use at a small gathering say 10-15 people and still perform well. Keeping in mind practice amp.