adamg67

AC/DC

Now I'm working on my guitar playing a bit more, I've been looking for some nice riffs to practice with. I thought I'd relearn a few obvious AC/DC things, so I had a listen to a couple of early albums. The main thing I noticed: nice riffs, awful lyrics :( Really genuinely mysogynistic in places, and overall just the same old crap again and again. I suppose I was a teenager when I was listening to them first time around, maybe now I'm supposedly grown up I just notice the content a bit more. Probably not unique to AC/DC. Anyone else noticed this about them, or other bands from your past?

Edited by adamg67

Yup. You're right how lots of 70s lyrics have dated along with most 70s attitudes. 

Plenty of godawful lyrics out there that just wouldn't pass muster nowadays, with all the (hopefully) progress since then.

In terms of AC/DC, I always thought Bon's lyrics were often quite sly and humorous with a certain charm and menace to them - sort of fitting for his character really. But a lot of Brian Johnson-era lyrics are just single entendres (if there's such a thing) which much less of the clever wordplay that made Bon more amusing. 

It ain't just rock tho - would anyone write the Abba song "Does your mother know?" nowadays? I doubt it. 

On 18/09/2018 at 15:13, adamg67 said:

I thought I'd relearn a few obvious AC/DC things, so I had a listen to a couple of early albums. 

The thing about AC/DC (and to a similar extent Status Quo) is that there are so many bands doing bad cover versions.

Reason being, on first listen the songs do sound simple. But take a closer listen and they are doing all kinds of interesting stuff. Malcolm especially, is always using different inversions, and different octaves, which usually get missed when other people play them.

• Like 1