Dad3353

Gallery (for browsing photos of Builds...)

This is my Partscaster. A Series10 neck from a friend and a normal front routed strat copy body from the small ads in the back of Guitarist, long before the internetz 😉.

The bridge and neck pickup cavities, the bridge cavity and control cavity out through the back were done on a mill, I didn't, and still don't own a router! The wiring slots and control cavity were covered with a wooden lid. Filled and rubbed down and finished in a Ford metallic green rattle can, it could be a Vauxhall colour, I can't remember now!

The bridge and tuners are Gotoh and the pickups are from memory Kent Armstrong.

IMG_20190807_181543.jpg

This is going to be my next mod project. Originally I was going to Super-Tele it, Floyd and double humbuckers but then I thought I already have a Super-Strat so it's going to remain a hardtail. What I am going to do is strip it and try and contour the Fender comfort contours into it, use a neckplate-less method on the neck and shape the body there a bit before refinishing in Tru-oil. I may turn it into firewood of course. I may put some hotter pickups in, but to be honest the Squire standard ones sound OK to me.

IMG_20190807_181648.jpg

My rebuilt Tele. It was originally a Squier CV '50s, but then it evolved. The neck is original, but I changed the body for a contoured, ash body. I added DiMarzio pickups (a heavy blues Strat neck pickup and an Area Hot T in the bridge, painted to match) and a chromed brass bridge. I have also fitted a Stesbar tremolo, but I swapped back to the hardtail recently. The body was coloured with water colour paint and then Danish oil and waxed, I then added a faux binding courtesy of Humbro model paint. It sounds great, very P90 like.

Here it is in both trem and hardtail guises.

Tele.jpeg

IMG_0315.jpeg

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

On 05/11/2019 at 17:09, ezbass said:

Decided I wanted something more traditional, with a scratchplate, etc. So I replaced the body on my Tele today. Well pleased.

07B6EDBC-F31B-449B-906A-D9CDA630A59F.jpeg

Is that the original body? Why did you decide to change it in the first instance?

40 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Is that the original body? Why did you decide to change it in the first instance?

No, it’s a replacement. I initially changed to a contoured body as I was finding the original pine body a bit heavy and fancied something a bit more colourful. Just recently I’d been hankering for a more classic look and I’ve always been a fan of the bound Deluxe look, so we have the result of my desires.

This was the first guitar that I built. I wasn't too sure about getting a really nice finish, so I painted it and distressed it. I'm quite happy with it and it plays beautifully. Wilkinson pick ups. I bought the bits online and made it up but my next build is going to be a Les Paul from a kit. Im using the kit for the body and neck but I have ordered Wilkinson humbuckers and I will get electrics from KiOgon over on bass chat.

I will keep you posted.

IMG_3317.jpeg

IMG_3315.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Angel said:

Here's one of mine. 

Um2CyFP.jpg

I'm a bass man through and through but that is a thing of beauty!! 🤤

I've done a couple fake barrel topped guitars if you don't mind me asking where did you get the crate/barrel top from?........ 👍🏻 

On 09/02/2022 at 22:26, Jimothey said:

I'm a bass man through and through but that is a thing of beauty!! 🤤

I've done a couple fake barrel topped guitars if you don't mind me asking where did you get the crate/barrel top from?........ 👍🏻 

I had a wonderful Uncle who died of cancer 25 years ago. He wasn't actually an Uncle, he was my dads cousin, and my dad's best friend in the whole world. It was a tough loss, especially for my mum and dad. Anyway, he ran a marvellous little off license, having taken it over from his father many years earlier. Over the years my dad acquired many of these boxes, and at one time I used about 12 for garage storage. They all got wet and ruined and ultimately scrapped, at a time when I didn't realise how cool they are. A terrible shame. Anyway, I have two left, and my dad probably has a couple so I may well make another at some point. Yeah, the guitar, the idea came to me a few years ago as a tribute to my Uncle. Since the photo I have added a Bigsby. I know that many people hate them but I am a big fan. 

• Like 1