Woodinblack

Options for refinishing guitars

I have a Gibson The Paul - a 1978s budget gibson. Got it of a friend after mentioning it was a guitar I really wanted in 1980 but couldn't afford it then (interestingly, for allmost the same price as it was new then).

It isn't in great condition, but more importantly it has been finished in a sort of brown nitro which I am not a fan of. Originally they were just unfinished as they are walnut.

So my options are to strip it down or send it to somewhere for refinishing it. I guess i could always have it done in TV Yellow, that might be good.

Has anyone stripped one back and would it look ok unfinished after it has been nitro'd or is it always going to look a bit patchy?

I do love me some TV Yellow, though TBH I think with a guitar as (at least in my experience) rare as these now are, I'd consider reverting it to standard. Does it still have the Dirty Fingers pups in it? As memory serves, that's what they came with, though a lot of them got switched out over time. I believe they can be quite collectable now, as DFs have been reappraised in recent years...