Senroeash

Chord Identification

3 hours ago, Senroeash said:

Hi there

Can anyone help with identifying this chord, please? Regular tuning, D open string, Bb on the G string, D on the B string, open E. Thanks!

Robert 

2022-02-28 23_03_34-.jpg

... or ...

353024549_2022-02-2823_05_00-.thumb.jpg.ed8a31169e1ccd40f312ca71295adcb7.jpg

Where would you consider the Root to be..? That would determine its harmonic importance.

Edited by Dad3353

Oh that’s excellent! Thank you so much. I would say the root note is D, it’s from a typical flamenco sounding chord progression where this chord is substituted for Dm. The next chord is the same but with the C added in the bass, as a substitute for regular C. C/Dsus2(b6)? 

Also what does -5 mean in the A# -5 designation?

Thanks again for your help!

37 minutes ago, Senroeash said:

Oh that’s excellent! Thank you so much. I would say the root note is D, it’s from a typical flamenco sounding chord progression where this chord is substituted for Dm. The next chord is the same but with the C added in the bass, as a substitute for regular C. C/Dsus2(b6)? 

Also what does -5 mean in the A# -5 designation?

Thanks again for your help!

R91KekF.gif

In this context, it indicates 'flattened'; I'd prefer to think of 'B flat, flattened fifth' in the case presented (I don't think of 'A#', usually...). It's a valid substitution for Dm, when passing through to C. Sounds good..!