Golats

Real Flying V?

I had the chance of buying this today for £150 - an unbelievable bargain if it's a real Flying V. I dithered because the serial number didn't look right to me - it has a gap after the first three letters (seller confirmed this) which doesn't fit in with Gibson format as far as I know. The strange thing is, if you insert any single digit number in the gap then it comes out as an actual Gibson serial number.

Anyway, I missed out, somebody else got in there first. What do you reckon - is it real or fake? Have I lost out on the bargain of a lifetime?

Looks like I won't be able to form that Michael Schenker tribute act after all 🙂

V1.jpg

V2.jpg

V3.jpg

V4.jpg

I recognise those fretmarkers. Can't place them exactly, but I'm sure I remember this from a series of 'more affordable' (think:LP Studio) guitars Gibson did maybe twenty years ago. I'd have suspected something off at a 'real' Gibson being offloaded at £150, though.... seems too cheap to be real, even for a model not likely to be the very most in -demand. I know Vs aren't especially fashionable now, but...

On 15/11/2018 at 13:26, dlloyd said:

Gibson Flying V Faded... not sure why anyone would fake one of those.

Yes in the early 2000’s they did a run of the faded V with moon inlays - somebody got a bargain if that sold for £150