MWH

Flatwound strings

So,  whilst every bass guitar i have has flatwounds,  if you put them on a typical six stringer, just cos i like the feel of the flatwound strings, will they  ''bend'' like wire wounds, then again it's the single core strings that get all the ''bending''  what if if i put 11 gauge flattys on ?, i like a mellow tone. Getting back into guitars so don't have oodles of knowledge,, answers on a postcard ?

• Like 1

Thanks,  nothing like using strings that suit the individual,   do any of you guys have enough knowledge  to say which makes of flatwound strings  have what kind of sound, who's are bright ?,  or who's are mellow ?,   which to avoid,  etc.

I have no experience of guitar flatwounds, but on bass I like D'Addario Chromes, because they're both bright and compliant, even on a 5-er. You could do worse than ping @D'Addario UK a PM (probably best on BC rather than here) and ask for info and advice. I imagine others such as LaBella may have guitar versions of their flats? Perhaps a visit to their websites might yield some info too.

• Thanks 1

On 10/09/2018 at 10:32, MWH said:

So,  whilst every bass guitar i have has flatwounds,  if you put them on a typical six stringer, just cos i like the feel of the flatwound strings, will they  ''bend'' like wire wounds, then again it's the single core strings that get all the ''bending''  what if if i put 11 gauge flattys on ?, i like a mellow tone. Getting back into guitars so don't have oodles of knowledge,, answers on a postcard ?

You won't get the bending without exceptionally strong fingers. But the tone--nothing like it, for my money.

On 28/02/2019 at 17:11, Wylie said:

You won't get the bending without exceptionally strong fingers. But the tone--nothing like it, for my money.

Wow !,   activity on this site,  thank-you so much.  Cunning  plan no. 53,   I'm having a custom made  guitar built,  a fairly simple  designed  solid body job, but with a 52mm  nut / wide neck to get my bass playing  fingers in.  So like the basses I wanted flatwounds,   but don't know if  they should be 9's  or  10's  or  11's,  the lighter ones might be the starting point,  would they all sound the same though ?, ignoring the  "bending".