FrankAtari

In need of an intonation Guru

Hi Guys,

I think my telecaster has some intonation issues. Probably the whole set up needs some tweaking, however all in all the guitar is good. The problem relates to the first 11 frets where almost all of the notes are about 1/4 sharper than they should be. This is according to my boss digital tuner. The frets from 12 onward are in tune. I have no buzzing issues and I have a six saddle bridge. So what do I do? Should I work on the nut or is there a way to balance the saddles or maybe the truss rod?

Tnx

On 28/01/2022 at 11:45, ezbass said:

I’d look at at the relief first. It might be that there is too much bow in the neck

Well I think I kind of did it, for the problem is largely contained. I'm rubbish with the relief so I just skipped that part and worked directly on the truss rod, empirically. The notes became flatter when tightening. Now even the worst notes are not sharper that 1/8 and many are fine. I'm not sure how close to the ideal pitch they should really be, but for now I'm happy. Probably it's worthwhile investing in a set of those nut files.

• Like 1