Chisel_hill

G string blues

Hi I recently purchased a fender affinity telecaster shop display that has been professionally set up

I noticed the g string sounded dull so I changed strings I used fender 10's but alas it still has a dull g string 

I have only been learning since covid started so I am looking for advice please 

Thanks 

Hi there.

First of all I'd say that you guitar needs to be connected to an amp to sound good. The sound of the strings without amplification is not representative of you real guitar tone. Are you playing with an amp? A decent system?

Secondly you should try to explain better what you mean by dull. Consider that the three upper strings are physically different from the three lower strings and the difference is noticeable when you move from the the D string down to the G string. Again decent amplification and correct equalization should sort the problem.

But if the problem persists, why don't you just go back to the shop where you purchased the guitar and have a chat with them?

Good luck,

F

Hi Mr f

Thanks for that..I am using a brand new marshall code 25 with a compressor pedal before the amp 

When I try learning new licks I notice the 3rd string does not ring clear as others do it just sounds dull not bright

it is in tune as I always check  and the lower fret numbers seem fine its just 14th fret and up(or is that down? To 20th)

I was wondering if I lift the saddle a tiny bit will it make it worse or better

I have a telecaster affinity 

Thanks

Edited by Chisel_hill

Turn off the compressor and see if the problem persists. If it goes away, it’s probably because the G is sending a hotter signal than the other strings and the compressor is gating it. Is It the same on both pickups? If it is, I’d be looking at either the nut, something loose on the bridge, if it’s not, then you have a faulty pickup. All in all, it sounds like a probable return to the shop.

Moving the saddle up a little bit will probably make no difference, because the guitar is not buzzing, right? But it will not hurt either, so try, why not?

Go to the shop and have a word with them, however the problem is likely to be somewhere in the setup.