FrankAtari

Thumb up for Ibanez

Hi guys, I hope you're all well. Here is a new incarnation of the mythical Tele. I am impressed. I love this thing and I would appreciate if somebody could talk me out of buying it  ;)   I like the sound of my MIM telecater and I wouldn't touch anything about it for it really feels right for what it is. But this Ibanez is a whole new planet. What do you think of it?

Big money. It's interesting though that a lot of established companies who haven't gone for the retro trend before now (if this was just chasing what's popular on the market, they'd have done it a decade ago) are now it seems starting to bring out their own riff on the classic Fender designs. Personally, I think it's great. I really like how Ibanez have done a bunch of these that are very clearly Fender in their DNA, yet still very distinctly Ibanez' take on it. It seems to me that the Strat and Tele styles are now such established classics that it's like a dreadnought or a parlour guitar... 

I'm just not now someone who I think will ever drop GBP1600 and such on a guitar, BUT if I stumbled across a lefty of one of these models I'd definitely give it a go. I've always been impressed by the quality of Ibanez guitars I have handled, even if they aren't my bag in features / look. 

As to the trem, for me the true joy of a Tele, and what makes a Tele a Tele is the three saddle bridge and the pup mounted therein. I do like that they have thought to mount the pickup in a metal surround here. It's almost like a modern version of a Tele with a Bigsby, kinda, sorta. Not for me, but I can see it appealing to many folks. The fixed bridge version appeals more to me. Trems I like visually on a Strat or anything with a Bigsby, but actually using them I can take or leave. For whatever reason, finger vibrato seems to come more naturally to me. 

19 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Personally, I think it's great. I really like how Ibanez have done a bunch of these that are very clearly Fender in their DNA, yet still very distinctly Ibanez' take on it.

Yeah they did a very good job. Still when something new is introduced on the market you want to understand if it appeals to you, especially for that price. Fender feels a bit overpriced compared to Ibanez. Also you see people who buy a guitar and then upgrade and customize it with new hardware and electronics, sometimes even a new neck. You see, to me this is something that does not make much sense (but that's me because it all boils down to personal preference), I couldn't be bothered. But if Ibanez puts together a final product that features many prestigious after market components, it certainly catches my attention. Now is it worth it to splurge / waste / invest almost two grand on a guitar? Well again, it's personal preference, it's neither good nor bad. I'd go for it, my only concern being what else the market offers for that much. I'm also the guy who plays one guitar, I don't need more than one, and certainly not a collection. Anyway, to conclude it seems to me that Fender is copying Ibanez and Ibanez is copying Fender. Did you guys see the new American Ultra series? I mean, it's not a Telly any more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FrankAtari said:

Yeah they did a very good job. Still when something new is introduced on the market you want to understand if it appeals to you, especially for that price. Fender feels a bit overpriced compared to Ibanez. Also you see people who buy a guitar and then upgrade and customize it with new hardware and electronics, sometimes even a new neck. You see, to me this is something that does not make much sense (but that's me because it all boils down to personal preference), I couldn't be bothered. But if Ibanez puts together a final product that features many prestigious after market components, it certainly catches my attention. Now is it worth it to splurge / waste / invest almost two grand on a guitar? Well again, it's personal preference, it's neither good nor bad. I'd go for it, my only concern being what else the market offers for that much. I'm also the guy who plays one guitar, I don't need more than one, and certainly not a collection. Anyway, to conclude it seems to me that Fender is copying Ibanez and Ibanez is copying Fender. Did you guys see the new American Ultra series? I mean, it's not a Telly any more.

To me it's only a Telecaster if it has a three saddle bridge. All else is voodoo, in a *bad* way. ;) 

But yeah, it's always nice to see some new ideas. I particularly like it when new ideas also come in a retro package. 

• Haha 1