Rustypeb

Looking for some help when trying to record my guitar

Hi, 

Will start saying am currently using ableton live 9 suite on a pc (which is getting changed to a mac when I get my old one back later today) and through a first gen focusrite scarlett 2i2 (latest drivers checked and installed) connected to the out on my old marshal MG 30DFX  connected straight to my epiphone les Paul standard. 

So have been trying to record some of my guitar in to my computer to make parts for songs or even to just play along to a drum track I have made but getting really frustrated as every time I play just one note out of the computer it plays then has a louder sounding repeat about half a second later like there is some sort off delay on it which there isn’t. So am wondering if anyone has any suggestions to why this is happening and how to stop it from happening? Any help would be great will try and attach a quick video showing what I mean by the sound and a photo of the front of my 2i2 and amp incase I have a setting wrong, also it plays the same through headphones plugged in to the 2i2 and when recorded so can’t record anything at the moment.  

Thanks 

38A94BF5-5FE5-43F4-8747-A8D9F922B54B.jpeg

B82C77E0-7883-45DA-9818-B306078261CA.jpeg

Edited by Rustypeb

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Hmm, I was going to say are you direct monitoring, but then saw the photo. Sorry, dunno. Perhaps try going direct into the Focusrite to eliminate any amp/interface shenanigans.

Haven’t tried that honestly thought I would have to go through the amp but have a amp effect built in to the software so will try that. Guess if it works I could still go through my pedal board but just have the out in to the interface but will test with out the pedal board first. Did also try a recording and the recording sounded fine apart from a bit off noise from somewhere tho hard to play with it sound how it is now. 
Thanks and will let you know how going straight in to the interface works. 

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Hmm, I was going to say are you direct monitoring, but then saw the photo. Sorry, dunno. Perhaps try going direct into the Focusrite to eliminate any amp/interface shenanigans.

Just tried straight in to the interface and sounds the same still like I’m playing a note twice when am only playing it once, only got the headphones the other day as hoping listening to it through the headphones at the interface would help but unfortunately not. The interface is a gen one and was probably brought around 2012 if not before so starting to think it’s a problem with the interface more then anything at the moment? 

Thanks anyway do have my Mac back just need to make space for it then will set it up tho this isn’t a new Mac tho has had extra ram installed and has been updated as much as it can be for its age since I had it last but it did used to run all my music stuff fine on it, am guessing try GarageBand to rule out if it’s the software or not? 

Thanks for your help am all sorted now instead of waiting to set my Mac up I downloaded audacity and it worked perfectly, so went back to ableton and looked at the settings for the input and thought the only setting I hadn’t tried was the driver type so changed that and now works fine thanks for your suggestions.