Harryburke14

Who makes an inexpensive ES335 type

Been lusting after a semi acoustic guitar for as long as I can remember. Don't have the money for a gibson 335 (although I wish I did) so want something a bit more affordable. I've seen epiphones, tanglewoods,  Ibanez, Gretsch all do affordable(r) variations of the same general idea, but with the market so wide for these things, was looking for some opinions.

Budget would probably be £300 but the cheaper the better.

If you want something good but cheap, Ibanez Artcores can be had second hand for well under £300. If you want something that will probably be a as good, objectively, as a Gibson then the Ibanez Artstar will do it, and you might get one used for £300, or just a touch over. Amazing value guitars second hand.

Edited by adamg67

8 hours ago, Harryburke14 said:

Been lusting after a semi acoustic guitar for as long as I can remember. Don't have the money for a gibson 335 (although I wish I did) so want something a bit more affordable. I've seen epiphones, tanglewoods,  Ibanez, Gretsch all do affordable(r) variations of the same general idea, but with the market so wide for these things, was looking for some opinions.

Budget would probably be £300 but the cheaper the better.

Shop around, play lots of different ones, find a good and cheap luthier (ask in Vintage and second hand shops) as a good setup makes a huge difference but I would never pay what some shops ask.  Or you could learn to do it yourself.

I like Epiphone but with your budget I’d go secondhand.  

Good luck!

I think all the obvious choices have been mentioned.

I think with semi acoustics it's particularly important to try before you buy, if for no other reason than to see how you get on with the huge body.

When I was looking for one about 15 years ago a lot of the cheaper stuff I tried, particularly the Epiphones felt really cheap and nasty, far more so than their solid body range.

Although that was long enough ago for everyone, including Epiphone to have considerably upped their game since.

Edited by Cato

6 hours ago, Cato said:

You're surely not going to build Harry a 335 for £300?O.o

No - only in his dreams xD

I have a lovely and upgraded 335-style I've had a few years and have been looking for a good home for it to go to.  I've got a crazy number of guitars for a guy with arthritis in both hands but I am reluctant to let any of them go at all, let alone to someone on ebay buying to make a quick buck on resale ;)

So always looking for people I know share the passion and will make good use out of them.  And Harry is one of my repeat customers anyway :)

• Like 1