Rustypeb

Right way to hold a plectrum (if there is one?)

Hi all,

So have recently started getting back in to playing/learning to play the guitar again after a fairly long break, did have lessons for a few years in my early teens. Am currently using fender play to learn from and really enjoying it, I am hoping to get proper 1 on 1 lessons at some point but can’t afford them at the moment and not currently having a driving license whilst living in a small village doesn’t help. But my main question for now is there a proper way to hold a plectrum on fender play they say inbertween the thumb and first finger (first pic) which I can do but seem to always go back to holding it between my thumb and first and second finger (second pic) which I think was how I was taught whilst I was younger. Or does it even matter that much I have a tendency to take things that don’t matter and over think them and then end up anxious about it and at some times the anxiety will stop me from doing what I wanted in the first place. So really trying to just work out if there’s a right way and if so what way it is so I can put it behind me and move on and continue in enjoying learning the guitar, I know it might all sound stupid but unfortunately it is one way my anxiety effects me and what I can do day by day.

Thanks 

ps excuse the pj’s lol 

0E608A16-3972-4EE9-B572-86D796F42B9F.jpeg

C32C8AB1-D9B5-4568-A0A3-9F7F5D579689.jpeg

I tend to hold mine like you do in the op picture, but there's nothing inherently wrong with holding a pick anyway that is comfortable, secure and makes a pleasing sound. When playing electric guitar, I tend to hold my pick 'upside down', using the blunt end to hit the strings, but for acoustic, I hold it the conventional way around (both ways are for tonal reasons).  One of the reasons I hold my pick like your first photo is that I like to use pick and fingers, also known as hybrid picking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/01/2022 at 13:28, ezbass said:

I tend to hold mine like you do in the op picture, but there's nothing inherently wrong with holding a pick anyway that is comfortable, secure and makes a pleasing sound. When playing electric guitar, I tend to hold my pick 'upside down', using the blunt end to hit the strings, but for acoustic, I hold it the conventional way around (both ways are for tonal reasons).  One of the reasons I hold my pick like your first photo is that I like to use pick and fingers, also known as hybrid picking.

Thanks that all makes sense will try and keep it like the first pic but not worry too much if I switch to the second pic way with out realising. 
thanks