Rustypeb

Just wondering what model my epiphone les Paul is?

Hi all, have recently started to learn guitar again after a gap off a few years tho did have lessons for a couple off years when I was in my early B3585B7B-5994-4A0B-B67B-A0A53B6F2207.thumb.jpeg.c4055b2ed25ad03350696cd6d2a7f95e.jpegC20292F5-7169-4E4F-AD18-64EA767854C2.thumb.jpeg.c33e7325ebb40a21e2945abe0a1aa3ea.jpegteens. So have dug my old amp and guitar out and got it set back up and am surprised on how much has come back to me tho still trying to learn from the beginning again to get rid off any bad habits I have. But mainly wondering what model of epiphone les Paul I have am guessing a standard but can’t seem to find any with the same paint job as it has from the serial number I have worked out it was built in March 2003 in Korea but that’s about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks 

63023D96-09DC-4358-86F9-6FA2C836A228.jpeg

Thanks honestly I had no clue except it was a Epiphone les Paul, got it as a present when I was 13 or 14 I think, from my parents who don’t know anything about it except they think it was brought new which would line up with when it was made. Don’t they normally come with Grovers on them then? Anyway for my standard of playing at the moment I can’t fault it except the treble volume knob is rubbing against the body making it hard to turn quickly whilst playing but apart from that am really enjoying beginning to play again. 
Thanks 

Grovers aren’t standard these days (pun unintended) but may have been back then. Rubbing knob (sounds rude 😆)? Just ease it up a little higher until it clears the body, or remove it completely, drop the pot out of the back, remove one of the cavity side washers and then reassemble, that will give you a bit more clearance.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ezbass said:

Grovers aren’t standard these days (pun unintended) but may have been back then. Rubbing knob (sounds rude 😆)? Just ease it up a little higher until it clears the body, or remove it completely, drop the pot out of the back, remove one of the cavity side washers and then reassemble, that will give you a bit more clearance.

Ah fair lol well was built back in 2003 I believe which works out to be when I was having my lessons when back in my early teens feeling old now. Haha does just a bit 😆 but thanks thought it could be raised slightly but didn’t want to just start trying to get it off and breaking anything. Thanks tho will probably remove it from the back and take a washer from the inside off and try it that way as would prefer not to have too put a screwdriver to the front and probably put a big scratch in the paint work knowing me lol. Thanks for you help. 

Edited by Rustypeb

On 01/01/2022 at 20:26, Rustypeb said:

... would prefer not to have too put a screwdriver to the front and probably put a big scratch in the paint work...

The 'trick' to doing this with no risk is to ease a boot-lace under the knob's skirt (oh err..!), wind it loosely all around, then gently ease it up. The knob will slide up its splines, no problem. Check, of course, that it doesn't have a grub screw (some vintage guitars have 'em, but not Gibsons; they're push-on...). Well done for fixing the issue anyway. B|

My Epi LP is a 1998 Korean; back then the more traditional Gibson tuners were still on them. These Grovers were a common mod at a time (for "real" Gibson too, I seem to recall); Epiphone switch to them as standard across much of the range at some point after 2000 - I remember it being seen as an 'upgrade', if less traditional in looks. The Chinese factory opened in 2006, and production in China and Korea overlapped for a bit - I think the last of the Korean guitars were built by 2009. 

As you'd expect, a lot of the people who used to say the Korean Epiphones were rubbish imitations of the US guitars would now tell you that the Korean ones are the ones to seek out, and are far superior to the Chinese ones.... (I've seen similar over the years with varying production moves across Fender and Squier). There are any number of guitar forums online where you'll hear about one beating another. Best as I can make out, Chinese QC was spottier than it had been in Korea in the first few years, but they quickly got up to speed. 

Yours would have been a "Les Paul Standard" in Gold Top finish. Back in the day, there was much less distinction between different models, different tops and such ax there is now - mine was a Standard when bought, it would now be considered a "Plus Top" and a few quid more expensive for it. Very decent guitars; the HBs are a touch muddy for my tastes, and mine has the tone knobs whacked hard in the treble direction every time it gets plugged in. If I was going to get serious with it, I'd probably switch out the pups for HB sized p90s, add a Bigsby, and rewire the pots so as to have one master tone and a master volume alongside the individual volume for each pup, Gretsch style. As it is, I'm kinda over Les Pauls. I'm in two minds about selling it, but fi the suddenly started reaching £500, it's be out the door sharp... 

Long term, the interesting thing is what will happen with the value of guitars like yours and mine that have the older headstock. I don't think it will ever be collectable - just too many of them around - but I'm hoping the market price isn't forced down now that Epi have a design closer the Gibson (even if they still refuse to go the whole hog and put a proper Gibby shape on it).