Wylie

Will an amp improve my sound?

Probably a very fundamental question for you guys . . . I play a Korean-made Sheraton through a Carvin amp, and while the sound is clear and clean, it is somewhat harsh, even on neck pickup alone. I would like a more rounded, jazz tone, and I've been looking at (and listening to demos of, natch) the DV Mark Micro 50-watt jazz head, and wondering if that would bring my sound to a higher level. I have a 12-inch cab to run it through. 

As primarily a bass player, I'm somewhat new to guitar and to the ins and outs of amplification. At root, I'm wondering if this guitar's sound can be improved and, if so, can an amp make that happen?

Thanks in advance!

Wylie

Is the 12” speaker you have the one you’re running your Carvin through, as it may not be the amp but the speaker that is giving you the harshness. If at all possible, take you guitar and speaker to a store and try a couple of amp heads and a combo. This way you can see if it’s the guitar, speaker or amp. I’ve done this in the past and if the store doesn’t like it, then they’re not worth any business you might put their way.

5 hours ago, ezbass said:

Is the 12” speaker you have the one you’re running your Carvin through, as it may not be the amp but the speaker that is giving you the harshness. If at all possible, take you guitar and speaker to a store and try a couple of amp heads and a combo. This way you can see if it’s the guitar, speaker or amp. I’ve done this in the past and if the store doesn’t like it, then they’re not worth any business you might put their way.

Thanks, EZ, I will do this.

Have you tried rolling off the tone knob? Also, not sure if you know this but the tone knob doesn’t really do much until you roll the volume knob on the guitar back a bit to at least 8 or 9. Then the tone knob does a lot more to the sound. Also, I gotta ask if this is a Sheraton 2 pro or more specifically does it have probuckers or alnico classics. I have owned a few epiphones. And while they can do the job in some instances when uncovered on semi hollow, they are horrible pickups. I would buy a set of used probuckers on reverb for $50. The real issue is gonna be rewiring that semi hollow. I also found that rewiring my epiphones with 50s wiring and full size pots and pio capacitors is another huge upgrade to the tone. Mabye more important than the pickups. Lastly, I would get a Princeton reverb or tweed champ to practice on. I know everybody says tone is in the fingers. But the clearer and better you sound, the easier it will be to hear when your doing it right vs  doing it horribly wrong. Btw, tweed amps usually have more mids and less highs than blackface amps but I know you would love either one.
good luck and rock on dude