ubit

Recommendations for distortion pedals

I am primarily a bass player but as we haven't gigged for years due to my job, I tend to spend most of my noodling time on guitar. I have a Blackstar combo and a Joyo distortion pedal. I am completely underwhelmed with the Joyo and wondered if anyone had any recommendations as to which distortion is best. I just want a nice warm distortion. Not too metal or fuzzy but something that gives a nice lead sound. I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds as I am just playing in the spare room but still want a decent sound. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which pedal is best?

It seems that you can't go wrong with either a Boss OD1 or DS1 (or clones thereof).  I have a Joyo USdream (a Suhr Riot clone) which is rather nice and is nicely volume control sensitive. However, I built a Fuzz Face clone a while back and I'm amazed at how 'unfuzzy' it can be at low levels or with control coming from the guitar's volume knob.

• Like 1

I have a Boss DS1 which is excellent for heavier stuff.

I also have an EHX Soul Food which is really nice for more subtle, less “grainy” drive.

I’d recommend either or both of those but going off your post, it sounds like the EHX would be just the ticket 

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Like 2

I have a Boss DS1 which I love. I also have an EHX hot wax which is a twin channel distortion pedal, each channel can be used on its own or they can be combined for a heavier sound. Soul food completes the lineup for a gentler OD sound.

On 15/12/2021 at 12:22, ubit said:

I am primarily a bass player but as we haven't gigged for years due to my job, I tend to spend most of my noodling time on guitar. I have a Blackstar combo and a Joyo distortion pedal. I am completely underwhelmed with the Joyo and wondered if anyone had any recommendations as to which distortion is best. I just want a nice warm distortion. Not too metal or fuzzy but something that gives a nice lead sound. I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds as I am just playing in the spare room but still want a decent sound. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which pedal is best?

I really like the Boss OD-3 for a nice warm overdrive.

Having said that, lately I've been enjoying a couple of Joyo pedals: the American Sound and their tiny Orange Juice (from the Iron series). Mostly with a Telecaster, but they work very nicely with a twin humbucker PRS SE too.

I tend to find if you want something that sounds classic and not too "metal", as a rule it's best to avoid anything sold as "distortion" and go instead for "overdrive". Over the years I've found quite a few I like, and of which any decent clone should do the job - the Ibanez Tube Screamer, the Klon Centaur, Danelectro did a nice classic overdrive in their range of metal-bodied pedals. About twenty years ago a friend and I went pedal shopping to find her a nice overdrive pedal. We tried everything on the market at every price, and eventually narrowed it down to the Boss Bluesdriver and the Marshall Bluesbreaker II. In the end she bought the Marshall because they both gave the same great sound she wanted, but the Marhsall was half the price. These days, I'm fond of the mini-pedals from the likes of Donner and TC electronics. cheap, solid, and so far (although I'm not taking them to gigs and stamping on them every night) completely reliable. 

• Like 1