SH73

Fuzzy solo sound

I recently started experimenting with hardware guitar effects, adding delay chorus pedals etc.I found the FX Amplitube sound very clean even if I added the odd actual hardware tube screamer pedal to FX Amplitube.

So here it goes. My guitar is plugged into tuner , distortion pedals, delay etc , noise suppressor then Marshall combo. If I use the gain channel on Marshall with added e.g. tube screamer to boost it and delay and play solo it sounds fuzzy. If I use the same chain process but use the clean Marshall channel the sound during solo is cleaner but rythm not as dirty sounding. 

Is there a reason for this? Does the added tube screamer cause more " harsher" sound when run through gain channel? 

In short, yes. You’re cascading one boost into another (distorting a distorted signal) and also driving the front of the amp harder. In addition, Tube Screamers are very mid centric and whilst often sounding great in front of a clean Fender style amp, adding them to an amp with more mids (typical Marshall type voicing) you’re getting a rather large hump, mid range in your EQ, which adds to that harshness you’re hearing.

Rhett Shull recently did a video on TS boxes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ezbass said:

In short, yes. You’re cascading one boost into another (distorting a distorted signal) and also driving the front of the amp harder. In addition, Tube Screamers are very mid centric and whilst often sounding great in front of a clean Fender style amp, adding them to an amp with more mids (typical Marshall type voicing) you’re getting a rather large hump, mid range in your EQ, which adds to that harshness you’re hearing.

Rhett Shull recently did a video on TS boxes.

Thanks for the advice. Though the video didn't quite answer the question.

14 hours ago, SH73 said:

Thanks for the advice. Though the video didn't quite answer the question.

No, not directly, but it gives an insight (albeit highly, negatively biased) into what the TS does. For Marshall type amps, something like a Boss OD1 is probably more appropriate. 

8 minutes ago, ezbass said:

No, not directly, but it gives an insight (albeit highly, negatively biased) into what the TS does. For Marshall type amps, something like a Boss OD1 is probably more appropriate. 

Very true, my old boss od1 sounds great in solos when it's run through the Marshall gain channel. 

1 hour ago, SH73 said:

Very true, my old boss od1 sounds great in solos when it's run through the Marshall gain channel. 

Another Boss pedal worth a look at is the DS1, that’s the one Joe Satriani uses, or at least used, and he’s a Marshall type amp player. Another DS1 user, albeit modded, is Marillion’s Steve Rothery (although that’s probably into a Roland amp), I love his tone, especially on Easter.

13 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Another Boss pedal worth a look at is the DS1, that’s the one Joe Satriani uses, or at least used, and he’s a Marshall type amp player. Another DS1 user, albeit modded, is Marillion’s Steve Rothery (although that’s probably into a Roland amp), I love his tone, especially on Easter.

I think mine is ds1 distortion not od1

• Like 1