velvetkevorkian

Is my bridge going to fall off?

Picked up a Conklin Groove Tools guitar recently, which is rather nice, but I'm a little concerned that the posts that the trem pivots on have lifted over time -- they're pointing somewhat more towards the headstock than I would expect, but maybe that's intended? Any way to tell? I've marked the approximate vertical angle and the actual angle they sit at on the photo.

Any advice appreciated.

bridge.jpg

EEK!

Looks like they are screwed into wooden plugs that are pulling out. I'd guess that a different bridge which had metal plugs to allow height adjustment was removed and this bridge fitted in its place.

I'd suggest getting the wooden plugs removed then glued in properly before the bridge goes to meet the nut... a luthier will do it, but you should be able to do it yourself.

Just tapping the wooden inserts back in won't be a permanent fix because of the amount of tension.

On 27/10/2021 at 10:51, velvetkevorkian said:

Thanks -- I think what you've identified as a wooden plug is actually the brass plug that's fixed into the wood -- but I'm right to expect that they should be roughly perpendicular to the angle of the strings?

Ah  it looked like wood to replace a metal plug.

Yes it should be completely flush with the body and the top level, so it is perpendicular to the strings.

As it's metal it is probably best to epoxy it in place, being careful not to block the central hole.

It's now been to see Jimmy Egypt who drilled and refilled the holes and re-glued the bridge posts back in - looks like the body wood wasn't quite hard enough to take the pressure so the holes were getting pushed long. I hadn't realised how much it was affecting the bridge angle, though. A routine job for a competent tech 👍

• Like 2