Stub Mandrel

New body for a Telecaster.

I've just hit the button on this:

s-l1600.jpg

(sorry it's a bit out of focus - from eBay)

As a new body for this ply-bodied Korean Squier I bought new in about '87 (pretty much only body, neck and neck PUP original):

234872859_tele5.thumb.JPG.d4579e8828b642d039e18b5cb721e9cb.JPG

Now what colour... clear, clear with red dye?

Scratch plate or not?

• Like 1

That will be a different look for a telecaster.

Looks like one of Luthier Warehouse bodies. I bought one a while back (flame maple/mahogany) and the quality was great other than the string through holes were slightly too far forward (about 1mm).

I would probably go with a clear finish - I used Crimson guitars water based guitar finishing oil, just wipes on with a clean rag or paper towel. https://www.crimsonguitars.com/collections/guitar-finishing/products/water-based-guitar-finishing-oil

Andy

Yep, Luthier Warehouse. Should turn my old Squier hack into something a bit unique!

It's very nice in the flesh. Working up the courage to use my smaller router to round over the edges. Then it needs some filler on some natural voids.

I have Northern Guitars blue denim stain on a bass. It worked really well, so might try their red stain. Nitro lacquer was really hard work, so an oil or wax finish is tempting.

1799033986_Body2.jpg.244d54b0bb3de8b7a95

• Like 1

I used Crimson guitars stain on my tele body. I stained the top and then did the roundover on the top before the clear finish to give a faux binding.

I'm not sure how the stain will work with the burl on your body, I would be worried about ending up with a patchy colouring as the different sections of burl absorb different amounts of stain.

Andy

Body01.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, backwater said:

I'm not sure how the stain will work with the burl on your body, I would be worried about ending up with a patchy colouring as the different sections of burl absorb different amounts of stain.

I've wondered about wiping/spraying the stain around the edges to keep the central area natural for a redburst...