darkandrew

Fender headstocks

Let's get this out in the open right from the start - I don't like the larger headstock that appear on Strats and much prefer the smaller, narrower headstock that you find on the Tele. Now seeing as the Tele came first, why was it changed on subsequent models? Is there any real benefit of the larger headstock, eg. Does it help the tone or balance of the guitar?

Edited by darkandrew

Fender weren't known for changing something unless it really needed changing, so they either made them bigger because it was more economic to do so (which seems unlikely but possible I guess, more margin for error for example), because the bigger headstock sounded/stayed in tune better (even more unlikely), or because the larger headstock was more recognisable/iconic and therefore protectable by law (plenty of early instruments had headstocks not unlike early Tele's/Precisions), and enabled the word 'Fender' to be picked up in TV/photos more easily. I know where I'd put my money.

And I love the bigger 70's Strat headstocks.