MoonBassAlpha

Budget 12 string electric

My guitarist has decided he likes my Gordon-Smith 12 string, but when I showed him what a new one would cost, he  found it was too rich. So, budget suggestions, something that will stay in tune and not have a massively wide neck, please.

The cheaper the better, s/h deffo an option.

Danelectro is in the running, any real life experience of these?

Love a Dano, played some earlier electric 12’s and was impressed, especially at the price point. 

There is a really cheap Telecaster style 12 string currently available at Gear4music , think it’s £99!! The demo film of it sounds surprisingly good too.

That HB looks the part. If it were me I would probably get the Revelation, but it's looking like one of his friends just happens to have a Dano for sale, so that's probably that. Thanks for the contributions though, some interesting things. I wonder, do Rickenbacker have the compact headstock patented, or something, as I haven't seen any knockoff copies with that design?

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 23:41, blisters on my fingers said:

The Danelectro 12 strings get some rave reviews, I've got two 6 strings and the necks are superb.

Interesting point about Rickenbacker headstock patent, anybody know the skinny (!!) about this ?

Just seen this Charvel Surfcaster 12 with ~Rick~ish headstock, well tasty, I never knew they did a 12 in this model:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-FALL-1993-Charvel-Surfcaster-12-String-Electric-Guitar-Original-Hard-Case/123371754929?hash=item1cb98795b1:g:ekQAAOSw87RaqS5p

Thanks again for all the interesting suggestions.  My guitarist did indeed go for the Dano.  Sounds pretty good but didn't seem to hold tuning very well,  especially compared to my GS but it  mayneed a new set of strings.  I  like the look of the bridge, with intonation for each string.  Haven't got my mitts on it for a setup yet (I do his setups as he doesn't have a clue !)

I bought a 12 string acoustic for work a couple of months ago.  It looked good on paper - sapele neck, spruce top, rosewood back and a truss rod.  But the nut was an abomination...someone had cut it undersquare and attempted to correct the height with a bodge of glue.  The finish leaves quite a bit to be desired also.  HOWEVER I have not played any musical instrument as much as this in the last 10 years.  I ended up downloading a pack of 12 string based chords - Give a Little Bit (Supertramp), Wanted Dead or Alive (Bon Jovi), Hotel California (Eagles) and play every day.  I have carpal tunnel flaring up in my wrist though and my finger tip callouses are pretty thick now.

I  bought a NEW Chinese made acoustic 12.  On paper it looked the part, sapele neck and sides, spruce top.  But it needed a bit of work - they'd thrown a 12 neck on a 6 string body and the X bracing wasn't up to scratch (square bracing would have been better) and the bridge hadn't been filed properly so you could drive an oil tanker under the strings.  I ordered a doohickey thingamajig from Stewmac to take some of the strain off the top.  It worked really well to the point where I don't actually need to tune the guitar much after going weeks without use.  The string action is still a smidge high but I managed to carefully file the plastic saddle down enough.