gs_triumph

High action acoustic... Keep or return

Hi, 

I just bought a used acoustic guitar on ebay. A takamine EG 523 SC.

It has arrived and on first inspection I believe the action is incredibly high.  I have never come across an action so high. (see image.  Pardon my rudimentary measurement 😁.) 

I like the guitar and would like to keep it but in its current state it is difficult to play so my first instinct is I should contact the seller and return it.  I don't want to start mucking around with the guitar myself and possibly damage it but I don't mind having a set up done locally if that will fix it but it seems to me like a big adjustment would be required, probably beyond the realms of a basic set.  

What do you guys think? 

15356454006612649662583918241699.jpg

If there's a local repair/set up guy it might be worth popping in to see what they say.

However, as Old G says that looks worse than a bad set up and I doubt it left the factory with an action that high.

• Thanks 1

Guitar was returned to the seller today. He has been pretty shirty today via messages on ebay. 

I think he tried to start some kind of complaint at his end as I got a message saying the seller had asked eBay to get involved. It was closed in less than fifteen minutes and refund issued. 👍

Thanks for your help 

I have a 12 string with the same problem.  Seller was a dick about returns and the problem was structural.  Basically the manufacturer had mated a 12 string neck to a body that had been braced for a 6 string.  That is, it needed double x bracing.  Stewmac do a bridge doctor brace thing which attaches under the bridge and tensions off the tail block for US$22 so I may end up giving it a go.