Skinnyman

Digital Mixers

The band are talking about upgrading our current PA (in stages if possible) and starting by replacing the current Yamaha mixer with a digital unit that allows multiple monitor mixes as well as the main output feeds.

I have heard good things about the Behringer X18 and it seems like that plus a few of the personal monitors would do the job, giving everyone the chance of creating their own IEM mix.

There’s also a new Zoom L12 mixer which also records and can support 5 monitor mixes - that would do the job but it means that someone (usually me) has to constantly adjust the monitor mixes to everyone’s satisfaction. 

My preference is for the behringer but I may be outvoted.

Are there any others I should be looking at that might get more universal approval?

Making individuals responsible for their own mixes is the way forward. It takes the onus away from one person, makes it quicker to soundcheck and adjust mid set and cuts down on the inevitable moaning. I can’t advise on a particular system, but that’s definitely the kind of set up I would go for.

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Making individuals responsible for their own mixes is the way forward. It takes the onus away from one person, makes it quicker to soundcheck and adjust mid set and cuts down on the inevitable moaning. I can’t advise on a particular system, but that’s definitely the kind of set up I would go for.

That’s my thinking too (just need to convince the others that it’s the “right” approach). The Mackie system looks interesting too, depending on the capabilities of their mixing app.

I feel a trip to G4M or PMT coming on….

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Like 1