EdwardMarlowe

Having Work done?

Where do you guys go to get work done - especially in London? (All my old guitar shop haunts seem to have closed down). 

I'm still looking into building a 'Black Beauty' project on a budget. Not excessive spending, but I'd like a pretty close look. Considered a Squier Affinity as a base before deciding to go the 'parts' route, but basically I's be looking to keep the whole project well under £500. I have found a nice looking, budget neck supplier (UK based, Chinese manufacture) on eBay that's got the big headstock and - crucially for a 68 - no skunk stripe. The killer is 22 frets.... If I do this, I'm prepared to make some compromises (such as a head-stock end accessible truss rod) - there's no point spending £600 or so on the whole thing, as then I might as well just go buy a CIJ 68RI.... 

That said, 22 frets bugs me on this. Does anyone know if it would be viable for a repair place to sand off the extension, and pop out and fill the 22nd fret for me? What kind of money would that get into? For a guitar that's intended to be a cheap project and a bit of fun, I'd prefer not to spend the £200-£300 odds most places that will build a 68 neck charge.... Otherwise.... anyone got any views on which is the more glaring no-no for a Hendrix vibed black Strat - a skunk stripe or a 22ns Fret?? ;) 

AS an aside, it weirds me out that Squier do a 70s-type Strat and various other bits in their Classic Vibe section ,yet they don't seem to have thought to do a late 60s style Strat? (ironically, given they've gone four-bolt with their 70s model, it wouldn't have ben a huge extra effort to do a 66-69ish model.... ). 

Jonathan from Feline Guitars in Croydon does some of the best fret jobs in the country.  He's not cheap but a decent fret job on stainless steel frets will last a lifetime for anyone not touring and playing every night.  A good fret job takes a lot of time to do well.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2022 at 12:31, Kiwi said:

Jonathan from Feline Guitars in Croydon does some of the best fret jobs in the country.  He's not cheap but a decent fret job on stainless steel frets will last a lifetime for anyone not touring and playing every night.  A good fret job takes a lot of time to do well.

Belated thanks! I've noted that for future reference. :)