Stub Mandrel

Ibanez Artcore AR53

I'm a bass player not a guitarist, so I don't want to spend silly £££ on a six-string. But my favourite guitarist is probably Neil Young Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of Les Pauls and semi-acoustics like his signature Gretsch White Falcon or a 335 are a bit steep. The Artcore* AS53 only cost £220, and when I tried it out in a shop it felt really nice so my agonising ended there.

That's pretty cheap for a semi-acoustic with a set neck. A very nice, playable neck with edge binding and a satin finish (shared with the rest of the guitar).

One of the ways the price is achieved is simplified electrics, vol, tone and a 3-way selector switch. I bought from a small shop (River Music, Ross on Wye) and the guitar was well set up, I don't know if it had been given any extra attention but I got the impression the owner fettles all the guitars that come through his shop. It was a delight to play and sounded great. He threw in a basic gig bag.

I pimped my ride by adding a scratchplate. My brother added icing to the cake by giving me a Gretsch bridge pickup, a set of Kluson tuners and some contemporary Gibson knobs he had changed for vintage ones I gave him some time before! I also swapped in a DiMarzio neck pickup he gave me decades ago, but fitted a brass cover to hide the green colour! Naturally it now sounds fantastic. I top-wrapped the tailpiece too 🙂 

*There was some debate over whether or not these AS guitars are actually part of the respected 'Artcore' series, but the Ibanez website counts them in and specifically mentions them having an AS Artcore neck.

• Like 1

I think I found my true guitar voice on a the Gretsch Streamliner I once owned. It had been retro fitted with FilterTrons before I bought it. I subsequently fitted a roller saddle bridge and locking Sperzels. It made me play differently and, ultimately, made me a better player because of it. A proper 6120 is still my ultimate guitar, preferably the Setzer Signature with the dice knobs (in green if possible). However, I’d settle for a Setzer Hot Rod.

• Like 2

On 24/08/2021 at 18:06, ezbass said:

I think I found my true guitar voice on a the Gretsch Streamliner I once owned. It had been retro fitted with FilterTrons before I bought it. I subsequently fitted a roller saddle bridge and locking Sperzels. It made me play differently and, ultimately, made me a better player because of it. A proper 6120 is still my ultimate guitar, preferably the Setzer Signature with the dice knobs (in green if possible). However, I’d settle for a Setzer Hot Rod.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353544113861?hash=item5250df0ec5:g:DuEAAOSwL5lg0j-G

• 100% Brand New High Quality Product.
  • Material: Plastic
  • Color: White+Black
  • Dimensions: 0.48 x 0.48 x 0.48 inch / 16 x 16 x 16 mm
  • The central hole is of approx. 1.5mm.
  • Has a white color with black spots on it.
  • Holes in the control knobs are carefully drilled by professional guitar .
  • Fits well in Split Gibson, Grestch, and other electric guitars and basses.
  • Basic function is to change the level of your guitar's volume output in a smooth and even way.
  • Using these control knobs, while playing guitar gives a clean sound coming out of your guitar.
  • Perfect for all stage performers as all they need is to maintain their sound and tone controls, done by these control knobs.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Thanks 1

On 24/08/2021 at 18:06, ezbass said:

What 's the difference? The Hot Rod I seem to recall was a bit more stripped down, less trad - was it also cheaper? I do like the dice. I still have an inkling to do that on my next Strat. It's one of the specs I'd put on my sig Strat... 

I'm considering treating myself to a 5420 for my 50th in 2024. Probably the black one and have a Bigsby fitted and get it pin-striped... I'd have loved one of those LE Pelham blue 5420T lefties they did a very limited run of a couple of years ago, but I didn't have the scratch at the time. 

On 26/08/2021 at 08:42, ezbass said:

I am reminded of Johnny Cash’s song, One Piece At A Time, I just need to get a job in the Gretsch factory.

Ah, the Psychobilly Cadillac... 
2757a3def7f3560184e4a9c5fb9dd9b1.jpg

I remember a story kicking around about a guy who tired this with a Mini at the old British Leyland factory in the late 70s. Supposedly He had a fully assembled, brand-new Mini in the garage ready to go when he was caught taking the bumpers out.... 

Back in Nazi Germany, Hitler had people pumping money into the Motorization of Germany scheme. He'd dreamed this up in prison in 1924: have German workers pump money into a government account as a specific saving auto-deducted from wages. When they saved enough, they'd get an order number and be put in line for a cute VW Beetle. Volkswagen: The People's Car. 340,000 Germans signed up for this in 1938. In 1939, the factory was converted to munitions; nobody got their car. A story circulated in Germany about the guy who thought he'd steal one bit by bit. When he'd got all the parts out and assembled it at home, he discovered he'd stolen a tank instead of a car. 

• Like 2