Skinnyman

Amp Sim Pedals

The lead guitarist in our band has gone full FRFR and is using a headrush unit direct into the PA system. It sounds great.

I have a GR55 guitar synth and an actual synth plugged into a small mixer which then goes to the main PA.

Occasionally, I need to play the actual guitar rather than through the synth unit and so I’ve been looking at options. This included the Sansamp units (the GT2 probably) and the Strymon Iridium but the one I’ve settled on is the Humboldt Simplifier Classic. It models three classic amps and three types of cab, has an FX loop and XLR outputs to the PA. A lot cheaper than the Iridium and substantially cheaper than a Helix or Headrush*

I’ll report back when it arrives but the video reviews look very good.

* Which I appreciate do a lot more

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Like 1

It’s been a fun process so far.

I have a guitar which is hooked up the the GR55 synth so it plays patches through that. I also take the MIDI out from the GR55 and send it to a keyboard synth which I sometimes play via the guitar, via the keys or in unison with the GR55.

As things stand, the drummer has no idea what is making all these noises and it’s hilarious watching his reaction when suddenly a sax starts playing, apparently from nowhere.

The Simplifier should arrive tomorrow so I’ll report back once I’ve had chance to play with it.

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Haha 1