Witch Hazel

hello

i'm not really a guitar player, but i sometimes pretend to be one, so i thought i'd drop by and say hi.  it's been a long time since i played, but recently i picked up a Yamaha Pacifica 120H to noodle around on and i've been enjoying it more than i thought i would.  i've even been learning a few new things - although that's not saying much since i could barely play before!  maybe this time i'll take it a bit more seriously...

obligatory gear photo:

20210731_190738208_iOS.thumb.jpg.0292288d5b84d069939a715dfd540321.jpg

i wasn't expecting a guitar through a bass rig to work too well, but with a bit of dirt on it has a lovely crunchy tone, and i think i actually prefer it to a friend's Laney PL100 2x12 that i've been borrowing.

when i'm not playing guitar i also play electric bass (badly), fiddle and Irish flute.  (note to self: try the electric fiddle through the bass amp...)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

I think guitar through a bass amp used to be relatively common (the Fender Bassman being a case in point).

I do like those Ampeg Portaflex amps - I’m tempted to try one for myself

i did think of the Bassman when i tried it!  i kind of assumed the Bassman was a good guitar amp since it wasn't a very good bass amp, but perhaps it's just a matter of taste - i do prefer a more mid-heavy guitar tone without much treble, so it makes sense a bass amp would work for that.  (it might also help that the Barefaced One10 cab has a fairly high treble roll-off for a bass cab.)

Ampeg doesn't seem to be the "in thing" for bass at the moment (feels like everyone's moved on to Mesa and MarkBass) but i really like mine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

... (the Fender Bassman being a case in point)...

I have a Fender Bassman Export 50, and its associated 2 x 15 cab, and can confirm that it is excellent as a guitar rig. I also used it for several years as my bass amp, on big stages and exterior gigs, as well as home practise, and it worked splendidly for that, too. The head is currently with my amp repair man, awaiting pick-up after its major overhaul (re-caps, and a duff o/p tranny...); I'll have to make time to get it, as it was ready before Christmas, but travel wasn't allowed, so... Hmm... Maybe next week..? S'been too long since I used it. :)
Here's a (very...) old photo; it's just visible on the left ...

h4XQut9.jpg

... and again, with one of my guitars ..

NpBz44n.jpg

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

Best guitar amp I ever owned was a ‘59 Bassman reissue. Brian Setzer plays through Bassmans and he knows a thing or two about playing guitar. Solid choice IMO. Well done for posting pictures in your debut post. All of which earns you a hearty :crigon_04:

39 minutes ago, Witch Hazel said:

Ampeg doesn't seem to be the "in thing" for bass at the moment (feels like everyone's moved on to Mesa and MarkBass) but i really like mine. 

The good thing is that they’re incredible value used. 

(scuttles off to BC marketplace)