malc

Classical guitar all nerds?

i have played mostly rock etc for many years , and took up CG in the mid-nineties to keep practicing away from amps etc. As life has gone on i have been underwhelmed by the CG world with its bunker mentality , and would like to see it develop more on rock lines .e.g whats the first thing you do when you plug in? find other like minds to make an appalling row until some music comes out!! Or maybe just leave CG players in the sidings ?

It's a little hard to understand your questions. First, why should classical guitar--and its associated music, which is largely serious music and also Latin music--"develop" on rock lines? The answer is perhaps self-evident. The classical guitar certainly makes appearances all over the place--for example, take a listen to John Scofield's album "Quiet!"--but a leopard is not, as they say, likely to change its spots.

I studied classical guitar for some years a long time ago (at The Spanish Guitar Centre) - must say it did feel a bit of a closed 'club' and some players frown on other styles. The main thing I discovered over time was the quite limited repertoire available, and the fact that everything is learned from written pieces. Whilst that improves reading it takes away any broader learning - I mean what you learn by exploring chords, scales, inversions, melodies inside chords etc. It does very little to help you really learn the fingerboard 'roadmap'. It is also very stiff from a technique pov - the one correct way.

Through classical, I discovered that I really loved flamenco (still do) so went off and studied that for a few years. That is liberating because nothing is written down - any tabs etc are are pseudo representation of a music that is heard, felt and passed from player to player.

So I kind of agree- the classical community likes to be left alone, tends to consider itself superior, and feeds off a limited choice of repertoire and an obsession with technique. Freedom to create?... next door down.