Mike Johnson

Wall Hangers

1 hour ago, Si600 said:

I've had mine hanging from these for a year or so. They've not marked yet, not to say they won't though. They're never in the sun so I expect them to stay mark free.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Neboic-Classical-Electric-Ukulele-Accessories/dp/B07ZTGS78D/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=wandhalterung+gitarre&qid=1625688658&sr=8-6

I use an identical product, but under the name String Swing. I’ve hung all sorts from them, including nitro cellulose finishes, never had an issue. If memory serves, the typical hangers in places like Guitar Guitar look like the same finish and they obviously have all sorts of exotica (as well as cheaper instruments) hanging off of them.

https://www.amazon.com/String-Swing-CC01KOAK-Hardwood-Studio/dp/B0002GLCRC

I think it goes without saying to not use the screws provided! I went up to the biggest screw diameter I could get through the block of wood and close to the length of a drill bit. I've gone into solid brick, if you have a hollow wall try and find the studs.

I’ve used them on stud walls, using the correct, heavy duty, screw in, Rawlplug affairs, in 2 different houses (they’re a b@stard to fill and smooth when you move out, I can tell you), never had a guitar or bass (some real boat anchors in there too) head floorwards.

I'm using the Hercules ones with the wooden bases, one of them has had my McIlroy hanging from it for 13 years and no marks at all, the other has had a variety of instruments with all different finishes (including Nitro) and no marks on those either, i'm using the Hercules floor stands as well which have the same materials with no marks.

I did bin the supplied screws and fit with good quality anchors and they've held up to everything including my 1970's P-bas which weighs the same as a small planet.

Hercules wall hanger

Matt

• Like 1

Another Hercules user here with the clever spring operated clip things.

No marking of necks.

We have “dot’n’dab” plasterboard on all the walls so everything has to be drilled through that and into the brickwork (which is usually breeze block anyway). As a result, fixings have to be about six inches long to be sure of getting a decent purchase.

Never had a neck mark, only affect on mind has been the sun yellowing the varnish on a neck and the scratch plate. Which, for me, has significantly improved the aesthetic. My 94 US Std Strat and my 2001 Squier P-Bass Special were both from an era when the maple Fender used in conjunction with the clear satin varnish had a very anaemic look to it, so that was a plus (a major reason back then I went rosewood on the Strat, though I much prefer maple now). YMMV.

On 08/07/2021 at 08:02, Si600 said:

I think it goes without saying to not use the screws provided! I went up to the biggest screw diameter I could get through the block of wood and close to the length of a drill bit. I've gone into solid brick, if you have a hollow wall try and find the studs.

This!

I went over to check my brother's house when he was on holiday, and his '62 SG Junior was lying on the floor, face down. The hanger and pile of brick dust were on top of his Marshall head, which must have partly broken its fall. Miraculously, it was intact, and even in tune.

I don't know how I would have broken the news if it had been damaged.

• Like 1

On 24/08/2021 at 22:14, Stub Mandrel said:

This!

I went over to check my brother's house when he was on holiday, and his '62 SG Junior was lying on the floor, face down. The hanger and pile of brick dust were on top of his Marshall head, which must have partly broken its fall. Miraculously, it was intact, and even in tune.

I don't know how I would have broken the news if it had been damaged.

I had a couple of narrow escapes with my main strat and Pedulla bass.  The wall hangers are two piece where the cradle bayonet-fits the wall base.  There were no installation instructions provided and I wasn't aware of how the cradle needs to be twisted ninety degrees so it's held in place.  

Both instruments fell from their hangers and landed on their strap buttons.  The Pedulla's was bent and dented but easily repaired and replaced thank goodness but it left a hell of a dent in the teak floor.  

It was only at that point I inspected the hangers closely to try and understand why they didn't work  when I discovered the bayonet arrangement.  So I ended up redrilling the anchor holes into (mostly)  concrete block for half of them and so far problem solved.  

• Like 1