charic

Favourite guitar shops?

I like Guitar Guitar, the range at my local branch (Epsom) is huge! However, I also have a soft spot for Guitar Village in Farnham as I find their old, rambling premises intriguing, with lots of nooks and crannies hiding some nice gear. Anderton’s in Guildford is good too, albeit a bit of a drive (as is GV).

• Like 1

For years, my got-to shop was Chandler Guitars in Kew when Doug, Paula and Charlie were there. They were superb to me. Charlie has since moved to his own shop in Hampton Wick, Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience (CCGX) and still use him for most of my repair and set up stuff. He's one of the best around and the shop has some good stuff and you get nice used pieces in there.

In the last few years, my go-to shop has been Guitar Guitar (Epsom), not only because it's local to me, but I've had excellent service from them and they stock a lot of what I like and need. Alex, their repair guy, is no slouch either and very good (recommended).

I also use Andertons from time to time and have had good service from them and like what they stock.

Guitar Village in Farnham is a great shop and I call the last 3 shops I've mentioned here 'The Surrey Ring of Guitar Shops' and I believe there may be a few others in the county.

Oh, Feline Guitars in Croydon are very good for repairs and their own line of guitars are great.

I've yet to get over to Peach Guitars but I have dealt with them on mail order stuff and they're great. Their stock looks interesting and I'm enjoying their current crop of demo vids with Jack and John , plus in the next few months, they're getting in some top drawer players in for guest nights (Pete Thorn, Max Miller & Tom Quayle and Joey Landreth).

On 25/08/2018 at 15:06, Kebabkid said:

For years, my got-to shop was Chandler Guitars in Kew when Doug, Paula and Charlie were there. They were superb to me. Charlie has since moved to his own shop in Hampton Wick, Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience (CCGX) and still use him for most of my repair and set up stuff. He's one of the best around and the shop has some good stuff and you get nice used pieces in there.

In the last few years, my go-to shop has been Guitar Guitar (Epsom), not only because it's local to me, but I've had excellent service from them and they stock a lot of what I like and need. Alex, their repair guy, is no slouch either and very good (recommended).

I also use Andertons from time to time and have had good service from them and like what they stock.

Guitar Village in Farnham is a great shop and I call the last 3 shops I've mentioned here 'The Surrey Ring of Guitar Shops' and I believe there may be a few others in the county.

Oh, Feline Guitars in Croydon are very good for repairs and their own line of guitars are great.

I've yet to get over to Peach Guitars but I have dealt with them on mail order stuff and they're great. Their stock looks interesting and I'm enjoying their current crop of demo vids with Jack and John , plus in the next few months, they're getting in some top drawer players in for guest nights (Pete Thorn, Max Miller & Tom Quayle and Joey Landreth).

+1 to the info above :)
Also Andy & Andrew from the old Chandlers shop in Kew have now set up their own repair shop in Richmond:
http://www.richmondguitarworkshop.com

Edited by tedmanzie

I do all my guitar shopping online because I'm in Northern Ireland and there are no good shops here.

I've had good experiences with Guitar Guitar, Andertons and Strings Direct for all my strings and picks.  Those are the main three that I use for guitars and gear.  

6 hours ago, gary mac said:

I don't visit guitar shops very often these days, but really like Coda in Old Stevenage. One of those shops with a great owner, good staff  and a proper range of instruments at all price points.

That's another I'd like to visit and I hear great stuff about Doug's customer service :)

On 25/08/2018 at 13:17, pnefc42 said:

Mansons in Exeter is pretty good

Thats interesting. I didn't realize that Mansons were that for South

PMT is my favourite shop in Bristol, A great range, keen prices and friendly and helpful service. Note: If you are reading this PMT I expect a discount next time I'm in :)

My favourite shop closed down relatively recently, a real shame. Electro Music Services in Doncaster. :(

There's a couple of shops nearby now, but they seem to cater for the Acoustic market more than electric, and the one that has quite a few electrics in, doesn't have that great a selection (to my mind anyway).

On 27/08/2018 at 19:25, leftybassman392 said:

PMT in Birmingham is a nice place with a mahoosive range of gear (including a decent selection of lefties 👍) and staffed by people who actually know what they're talking about.

Pretty relaxed too.

Late to the party but I have to agree with this. Hands down the best guitar shop in Brum. Always feel encouraged to play everything I want but never hassled into buying anything.

I went in this week to get a battery amp to live at Ms HB14s house and Jamie (top bloke) got me to play all the new G&Ls they had in stock. Didn't feel pressured or anything.

Much prefer it to a different guitar shop in Brum (that will remain nameless but the hint is it's changed premises in the last few years and just shut down their old shop near Snobs Nightclub) that told me I wasn't allowed to touch the Martin acoustics because, and I quote, they were "too expensive for [me] to play them let alone own one". Disgusting.

Vintage and Rare in Bath....without my wallet!  Very friendly and knowledgeable staff.  Their luthier/repair man is pretty damn good.  Guitar Village is nice, good range, nicely laid out, some nice old stuff that they are rather protective about.

I have a penchant for old stuff so although places like PMT are fantastic to see what’s around and to dream that one day I might be able to play a seven string fan fret beast, give me an old guitar anyday, therefore Vintage and Rare Bath and much of Denmark Street in London get my vote.

I get to travel around a fair bit, and always try to find time to check out guitar stores wherever we are. Coda in Stevenage is probably my favourite - massive stocks, good prices and nice staff. Then Andertons are always worth a visit, as is Guitar Guitar in Epsom (and other branches too. ) Always call in at GAK in Brighton as well. Worthy mentions to Dads Guitars in Southport, Frailers in Runcorn and nearer home Antones in Hull - all great independent shops that are still providing an excellent service in these days of internet competition. Speaking of which RIP to Electro Music in Doncaster, as mentioned by Skybone. One of the best guitar shops in the country, run by top staff.

Of all the shops that came and went in Belfast over the years, my favourite was always Matchetts, near City Hall. Still a great place if I drop in when I'm over there; bought a few amps, pedals and my beloved 1994 US Std Strat (L/H) in there over the years, as well as mutliple leads, picks.... you know the drill. Since I escaped from NI, another place that opened there and is nice to drop in (good range of Tokais, from memory) is the Belfast Guitar Supplies(? Something like that) in Shaftesbury Square. 

Back in 2006, I wandered into the Reading branch of GuitarWorks, as they had a lefty CIJ 68 Strat and 71 Tele in the window. Sat for over an hour with a lefty friend and we played both. I loved the Strat, but I just adored the Tele. Six months later when I went back and had the money, it was still there waiting for me...

Here in London, Denmark Street is still ok to wander through, but asad, sad reflection of its former self (and still crazily overpriced). Bought a coupl of guitars and things in Holiday Music in Leytonstone years ago - loved going there because they had a whole room of lefties, claimed to be the biggest stock of left handers in Europe. No idea what happened to them: they moved to Essex about ten years ago, so place you couldn't get to by public transport (I don't run a car - pointless, living in central London), and they now seem to have disappeared.  PMT opened on Old Street last year; not been in there yet, but they look like they could be a good bet as I renew my interest in playing.