Kiwi

Toto - What the hell happened?!

I give you Toto2020.  Steve P left, according to Luke, because of ongoing and unnamed tensions on tour.  Luke has grown a stoner beard and Joseph Williams has stolen 20kg in body weight from David Paich.  Plus with the backing musicians it's more like a review than it's ever done in the past. 

But more than that, what has happened to Luke's tone?  His guitar used to sound so thick and warm, now it's like a wasp trapped in a bottle.

BRING BACK GREG, LEE and SIMON I say.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I give you Toto2020...

Thanks for posting. Not a follower of Toto (I know the name, and have heard tracks from way back, without really paying attention other than to think 'Hmm; they're good.'...), that video is excellent (as it should be, with three keys players and all..!); I listened on my standard monitors and wouldn't fault the sound, from any of 'em. I'll dig a bit deeper into this current line-up; they're Pretty Darned Good. B|

The line up in 2007 with Greg, Lee and Simon has a nice vibe to it mainly because they're all friends.  In the clip above, Luke doesn't even look that interested in what he's playing.  (I'm a huge Lukather fan,  BTW.  Him, Nile Rodgers and Alan Murphy.) The rest of the band are depping.  

Who is the Cnut in the top hat? I'm assuming he's an original member by the way he is lording over proceedings and what's the point of him now  as there are two other keyboard players who do much more than him anyway?

On 06/08/2021 at 18:45, ubit said:

Who is the Cnut in the top hat? I'm assuming he's an original member by the way he is lording over proceedings and what's the point of him now  as there are two other keyboard players who do much more than him anyway?

That would be the founder (along with Jeff Pocaro) of Toto.

A new interview with Steve has been published recently after lockdown: