bottomofthebarrel

My workbench

Haven't decided what to do over the coming winter, but here's a couple of instruments I've messed with so far. The first is a 4/4 cello from ebay. It had a broken neck and the scroll had snapped in half. I also replaced all the black wooden bits with proper ebony and improved the finish slightly. The second is my one and only elctric guitar made from bits purchased on line. Nothing fancy, but it works and I like it!

IMG_1743.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bottomofthebarrel said:

Does it (tru-oil) darken the wood this much?

to.JPG

On a darkish wood, it will darken it pretty much the same as most other finishes - similar to the colour the wood goes when wiped with a damp cloth.  On lighter woods (like maple) you get a slightly amber tone.  The above is naturally a very dark wood ( n.a. Black Walnut?).  It would go the same colour if you wet it.

• Thanks 1

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 18:26, bottomofthebarrel said:

If I for some reason wanted to dilute tru-oil, what should I use? (unless it's a totally bad idea) 

Test it out first, but I think I remember that white spirits and de-natured alcohol are both OK.  I lot of people do that, so it's not a bad idea depending how you are going to use it.  Folks certainly thin it down to spray it, as far as I know.

• Thanks 1