There are many, many books on music theory but the one I’ve found most useful (and very readable) is “Chords and Scales for Guitarists” by David Meads.

Anyone got any others that they’ve found helpful or particularly well written?

The ‘For Dummies’ books always seem very helpful. I don’t have the guitar one, but the bass one is rather good and I would imagine a very similar approach for the guitar version.

I remember David Meads from Guitarist magazine, he was always good. In fact all of their technique tutors were on point. I particularly used to like Adrian Clarke.

Edited by ezbass

I’ve had mixed experiences with the Dummies books. Some have been good but the ones on music theory and composition I just didn’t get on with at all. The thing I enjoyed about the David Meads book was his writing style. Very accessible and enjoyable.

9 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

...Anyone got any others that they’ve found helpful or particularly well written?

Without hesitation, this one ...

mNMHaSC.jpg

Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar ...

Stupidly low price, and a wealth of information that one would be hard to garner elsewhere. I've worn out several copies over the last fifty-odd years, and still consult it. Indispensable. R91KekF.gif

• Like 2