Noobmaster69

Advice on beginners electric.

So my guitar tutor has advised me to get an electric in the next 3 months. I’m currently learning on a Stretton Payne dreadnought acoustic. I quite like the look of Ibanez guitars. 
Music I like is Pink Floyd, Queen and anything indie from the 90’s. Can anyone recommend what I should be looking at? I’m sure this has been asked before but couldn’t see anything when I searched. 

Both good choices, although both do have some interesting quirks that might prove annoying. That Ibanez has a floating, locking whammy and that can be a pain to set up and tune for a beginner (great system though). The SG has interesting ergonomics that you’ll either love or find irritating. These are both personal observations and both will do the job admirably. If I were choosing, I’d look at  a Telecaster type (full disclosure, I’m a Tele fanboy), a Strat type with a standard trem set flat to body to avoid tuning issues or a Les Paul type. Brand wise you’d probably be looking at Squier, Epiphone, JHS’ Vintage brand or the always excellent Yamaha, although there are plenty of others, Ibanez included. The best thing to do is get yourself to a shop and try a few of the shapes, see what you like the look of and feels good to hold and play. Tone can be improved (if necessary) down the road with replacement electronics, etc. If money allows, invest in a pro set up, it’ll make the playing experience so much better.

It is a fun journey, I’m quite envious.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Noobmaster69 said:

Wow thanks for the reply, I only wish I understood half of what you said! Lol. Some interesting choices to ponder. I think you’re right though, a trip to PMS is in order. Cheers

Yeah, sorry about that, I tend to get carried away. Feel free to ask for clarification on anything I said and I’ll try and remember what it’s like to be starting out and curb my enthusiasm. Definitely get down to PMS, it’ll all make more sense once you’ve had your hands on a bunch.

Edited by ezbass

I'd agree with the suggestion of trying out as many different styles as you can. See what feels comfortable in the hand, and what you like the look of. (If you hate how it looks, that's not a great motivator to play it...). 

I'd also suggest looking into the JHS Vintage brand. Good range of takes on all the core classics, designed by Trevor Wilkinson, with street prices that make them, imo, often much better VFM than either the Squier or especially the Epiphone ranges. Their SG alikes are especially nice for the money if that's what wiggles your wire. 

https://www.jhs.co.uk/collections/vintage/type_electric-guitars 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ezbass said:

Both good choices, although both do have some interesting quirks that might prove annoying. That Ibanez has a floating, locking whammy and that can be a pain to set up and tune for a beginner (great system though). The SG has interesting ergonomics that you’ll either love or find irritating. These are both personal observations and both will do the job admirably. If I were choosing, I’d look at  a Telecaster type (full disclosure, I’m a Tele fanboy), a Strat type with a standard trem set flat to body to avoid tuning issues or a Les Paul type. Brand wise you’d probably be looking at Squier, Epiphone, JHS’ Vintage brand or the always excellent Yamaha, although there are plenty of others, Ibanez included. The best thing to do is get yourself to a shop and try a few of the shapes, see what you like the look of and feels good to hold and play. Tone can be improved (if necessary) down the road with replacement electronics, etc. If money allows, invest in a pro set up, it’ll make the playing experience so much better.

It is a fun journey, I’m quite envious.

I remember when I first picked up a guitar in the early 90s, the number of experienced players then who used to marvel at the beginner guitars available in terms of quality, price and range then available compared to when they started. Now I find myself doing the same thing. In my early days, a beginner guitar was, for the most part, just that - the better ones might be something that could serve as a back up in case of a broken string if you played out. Increasingly now, imo, many beginner guitars (not the very cheapest, but...) are viable, giggable instruments that could serve well for years in their own right.