Noobmaster69

New player, one month in!

Just saying hi. Completely new to guitar, but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do but never got round to so at the age of 46 I decided to say F it and give it a go!  I’m having tuition and am currently trying to practice scales as much as I can. Cheers.

Yeah I hear you. I think my tutor wanted me to have a bit of an understanding of music theory first. Tbh it has helped with getting my fingers used to the fretboard.  He actually just set me my first song to learn at the weekend. Wild Thing - The Troggs! 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Noob.

I started learning when I was in my early fifties so you’re a mere slip of a lad still 😁

Whether it’s scales or songs doesn’t really matter - what matters is that you enjoy what you’re doing. Having a decent grounding in theory will serve you well in the future and I think you’ve made a wise decision to work with a tutor.

Good luck with the practice and have fun!

• Like 1

Hi @Noobmaster69, and welcome to the rabbit hole that is the world of learning to play guitar.

It's good that you have a tutor; they'll be able to guide you in the right direction, structure your learning and help you with queries.

I spent many years teaching guitar and bass, and if there's one free tip I can give you it's that you should never be afraid to ask questions, even if they seem dumb at the time. It's your money paying for the tutor's time.