Izzy19

Strings for a Hofner senator

There’s a discussion here...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/154452/hofner-senator

...in which someone suggests Phosphor Bronze 12s.

In the pictures later in the thread, the guitar does indeed seem to have acoustic phosphor-bronze strings on so, in the absence of any better/more knowledgeable answers, I’d try those. 

Edited by Skinnyman

2 hours ago, Izzy19 said:

I have a hofner senator (not electric) and it is missing the E string. I need some advice on what strings it would need please

It depends a little on what style you'll be playing with it. The phosphor-bronze mentioned above (either 12's or 13's...) would be fine, and well suited to strumming chords, or Django-style 'pump' comping. That's not my style, so my Hofners are strung with the same 10's sets as all my guitars. My fingers make strings go rusty very quickly, so I use Elixir strings, which last a very long time, offseting their higher cost. These lighter strings are more suitable for chord-melody or solo lines, at the price of lower acoustic volume.
Hope this helps. B|

+1 for Elixir strings. I've used them on my acoustics for years. They are more expensive (or at least they were last time I looked), but they sound good and last longer.

Strings deteriorate with use and over time. There's no exact number of days or weeks as it depends on several factors, but you'll know they're gone when you get a dull, thuddy sound rather than a bright, pingy one.

(I'm good with technical jargon, me. :) )

• Haha 1