Pea Turgh

Perspex bodied Strat

Ola peeps.  I normally skulk around on the Basschat site, so new to this bit.

I was given a Perspex bodied strat in the mid 90’s.  It was in a sorry state, and my teenage repair skills certainly didn’t help much (scratch plate fitting evidenced below).

I have been thinking about swapping the body for a standard wood one, but maybe I should just sell this one and buy another more suitable guitar.

Trouble is, I have no idea how much it’s worth. I’ve got as far as It’s Japanese, and weighs quite a lot (4.5kgs)   Any value ideas, anyone?  @Bassassin ?

I have a sales subscription, so it’ll end up on here no doubt.

E96516B7-85C9-4CA8-B2EF-62E1F66ACF92.jpeg

2B109366-F907-4B0E-8E7E-6B3AF0B6C010.jpeg

543D6245-9236-4733-B698-F804B5E194C3.jpeg

BD48EBB2-FC6A-4248-926E-287F01CDA8CD.jpeg

A53C6742-8A0A-4E04-9ACE-CF12C4D550C7.jpeg

BD203EF2-474B-498F-9D77-9F67DDB7B8C5.jpeg

CC4D3CCF-173F-49AE-9BEF-3BADAFD0DCC0.jpeg

Edited by Pea Turgh
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

I originally wanted to be a drummer when I was a kid, but someone gave me a bass instead!

As a teenager, my drummer buddy kept his kit at my flat (the neighbours loved me). For a time I think I was a good of a drummer as he was. These days, I’m as good as every audience member who thinks they can play.

• Haha 1

Is there anything on it to indicate it's a Fender at all? I'm guessing it might be something "lawsuit" as it would be odd for the Fender logo to be removed. If it were a more recent Korean or Chinese copy, I would have been fully on board with the idea of putting that lovely neck on a wood body, but this Japanese model would be worth looking into further. I don't recall ever seeing a Fender with "Special made" on the headstock; I suspect that might be a rewording to get the overall look right but not violate Fender TMS, a la Tokai's "Love Rock" or "Rocking Better" instruments. 

FWIW - and I make no claims to knowledge as to whether this other seller is grossly over-valuing theirs or no - it looks remarkably similar to yours: 

https://reverb.com/item/33431199-clearsound-stratocaster-copy-c-1975-clear-lucite

If somebody wanted yours for that kind of money, it would go a long way towards a new guitar! 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Is there anything on it to indicate it's a Fender at all? I'm guessing it might be something "lawsuit" as it would be odd for the Fender logo to be removed. If it were a more recent Korean or Chinese copy, I would have been fully on board with the idea of putting that lovely neck on a wood body, but this Japanese model would be worth looking into further. I don't recall ever seeing a Fender with "Special made" on the headstock; I suspect that might be a rewording to get the overall look right but not violate Fender TMS, a la Tokai's "Love Rock" or "Rocking Better" instruments. 

FWIW - and I make no claims to knowledge as to whether this other seller is grossly over-valuing theirs or no - it looks remarkably similar to yours: 

https://reverb.com/item/33431199-clearsound-stratocaster-copy-c-1975-clear-lucite

If somebody wanted yours for that kind of money, it would go a long way towards a new guitar! 

Excellent spot, sir!  Same internals (albeit unmolested routes).  Looks like the round switch cover has the same hole locations.  The hard case looks the same as mine too.  Awesome stuff!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

Just thinking about the holes I drilled at age 16 for the new scratchplate- would it be worth trying to fill the unused ones with epoxy?  Is it possible to make an invisible repair?

Hmm, seems unlikely. Only one way to tell.

I've seen an ad on TV where a windscreen repair company claimed to have some sort of goop that could invisibly repair a stone chip on a car windscreen. No idea about this, though... I'd probably leave it alone, as presumably any extra holes won't be seen either with the current pg or the original pg replaced (assuming you still have it). 

21 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

I've seen an ad on TV where a windscreen repair company claimed to have some sort of goop that could invisibly repair a stone chip on a car windscreen. No idea about this, though... I'd probably leave it alone, as presumably any extra holes won't be seen either with the current pg or the original pg replaced (assuming you still have it). 

Ooh, good thinking. This is a DIY product that's available all over the place. https://www.rainx.co.uk/rain-x-products/rain‑x-windscreen-repair-kit/

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

On 22/02/2021 at 00:49, leftybassman392 said:

Never had a perspex Strat, but I did have a clone of the Dan Armstrong perspex guitar (made by Shaftsbury). Would have been around 1970 if memory serves. Quite a nice guitar as I recall; heavy though!

Like this:

th?id=OIP.OQ6XM9VlJtiW5BqF3mzMAgAAAA%26p

Heavy, though they had a reputation for good tone. I always get a kick out of seeing guitar snobs try to square that with the "tonewood" superstition. 

I always think of Switch when I see these. Switch were (are?) an electric guitar brand who came out about twenty years ago with plastic composite guitars. The body and neck were plastic, and the theory was that by altering the recipe, they could match the sound on individual wooden instruments with the sort of consistency that meant you'd never get a dead one - if you like one, the next is guaranteed to sound the same. Then they could, in theory, alter the spec to match different wood types or sounds, with guaranteed results. I loved the concept, but unfortunately they went for a very futurist / sci-fi superstrat look and tech that didn't appeal to my preferences (also don't think they did lefties). If I could have bought a bolt-in plastic body and/or neck with a Strat look, that would have ben interesting to try. It's a shame, really, that the market is so conservative when it comes to this sort of thing, otherwise we might have seen some very interesting developments. That said, the plastic guitar concept is probably environmentally unsound now, and there are a lot of interesting changes happening in the acoustic world at least with new, sustainable woods being explored. 

• Like 1