eyrenige

Charvel Signature Joe Duplantier Sound Issue

I have this guitar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NIs4KQ4ZvU and love the feel of it but I'm getting a background ringing noise/flat sound when I play with distortion which I do not get with any of my other guitars. I'm using a Boss Katana 50 Amp. Does anyone know what may be wrong? Many thanks.

5 hours ago, eyrenige said:

Thanks for the reply but not sure what you mean by electronic or mechanical oscillation, could you explain more please?

It's a way of describing a physical or electronic vibration.  The ringing noise.  Is it something physically vibrating or is it something feeding back electronically? 

I think we need a bit more data to try and diagnose.

I’m guessing that those DiMarzio pickups are pretty hot so the extra input gain might be why this guitar is exposing the issue rather than your others?

So it would be good to try and pin down the issue to either the amp or the guitar. Can you try a different amp? Try a similar guitar into the Katana?

How does this noise manifest itself? Is it constant or does it sometimes sound more noticeable than others? If you can try altering things to see what effect it has on the noise it might be possible to narrow it down to either the guitar or the amp.

Does this happen at all frequencies or just with particular notes? Does it only happen at specific places on the neck? With both pickups or just one? What happens if you roll the guitar volume back a bit? Or the guitar tone? What if you roll the amp tone back? Switch effects in and out?

If your amp had tubes I’d be suspecting one of those starting to go microphonic but while Boss’s tube emulation might be good I doubt they’ve gone to the trouble of emulating a knackered tube. 😁. So this could be a resonance thing that’s exacerbated by the high gain of the PAFs. Or something else entirely.

So - can you give us a bit more to go on? Even record it and post a clip here?

And if you do sort it, let us know how it got resolved!

• Like 1