_Lucas_

Old player - new motivation... well maybe...

Hello everyone,

I started playing over 20 years but I have found it very difficult to get motivated in the last 7 years.
Mainly as play on my own, so getting motivated is difficult.
I am hoping that joining a forum will help in the right direction.

Hi Lucas and welcome.

Best motivation I have found is a new band/project, although given the current situation we find ourselves in, this will prove difficult. However, there is another motivational route that I have almost as effective and sometimes even better - a new guitar! Or a new amp, pedal, whatever. Preferably something quite different to anything you currently have, the difference will make approach things from another angle.

I’m very much a believer in the “getting bored, must buy something new” approach to maintaining motivation but I’ve also found that having a “project” helps.

Whether its composing and recording your own music, recording a cover of someone else’s, learning a new technique or a new style of music... it doesn’t really matter what it is, just pick something that’s out of the comfort zone and give it a go.

In my case I’ve used lockdown to work on areas of my playing that are weak (which, to be honest, was most of them. I do a decent palm mute but beyond that it all needs work) and I’ve set about trawling the hours of material on YouTube to improve my production techniques, especially the dark art of mixing.

And I think your approach is a good one - in these constrained times a forum is a good place to bounce ideas off others and try to get some inspiration. 

So welcome and good luck!