Cookster

80's ESP Strat upgrade problems...Help

Hi I am a Newbie here and recently decided to upgrade my 80's ESP with 2 x Warmen singles and a Warmen Hotrail at the bridge also fitted 3 x CTS 500 pots and 5 way switch, I used attached wiring diagram which I followed exactly and as I have never tackled anything like this in the past I was very pleased with the result, I also done the shielding while I was at it.  The problem is it doesn't work! I have checked everything over and over and can't find anything wrong as you can see I grounded the shielding and bridge even tried disconnecting these to see if it made any difference, I have connected the humbucker green posi to the switch but have been told it can also go to the volume pot (not sure) anyway I have borrowed a multimeter but not quite sure how to use it have tried continuity but nothing on the 2 singles the jack seems OK once plugged in you get some slight sound from the pickups with the amp flat out but that's it when I attach a string hardly any sound at all! Can't make it out I have obviously done something wrong this is definitely a learning curve for me and I'm hoping one of you guy's or girls might have a clue as I have now ran out of idea's it worked fine and is a great guitar so now wishing I had left it as it was.

Anyway thanks in advance for any help or advice

IMG_20210130_162313.jpg

IMG_20210130_162323.jpg

IMG_20210130_162347.jpg

IMG_20210130_162404.jpg

IMG_20210130_162428.jpg

Strat HSS wiring diagram.pdf

Is it just me or are you missing a .220k resistor and 680 pf capacitor on the master volume? 
IMG_20210130_162323.jpg

Your tones seem wired up OK but I can't really tell what you're doing with the humbucker wiring.  Given silence rather than hum is the main issue, I would suggest that you may be grounding the audio signal somewhere.  Are you sure that the humbucker wiring is OK?   Through a process of elimination, you should  be able to trace the lack of beeps to a specific connection.  Take the multimeter and set it to the connectivity mode (it'll make a noise when the two tips are brought together). 

First take everything off the pickguard and check if you are getting a signal from all the pickups by tapping the magnets with something metal while the circuit is plugged into an amp at low volume.  If you hear a tap on all three after isolation from the pickguard then it means the live signal somewhere in the circuit is being grounded directly by the pickguard shielding rather than an earth wire.  Check for potential contact between a pot, a joint or a wire and the pickguard.

If you're not hearing a clear and distinctive tap on one of the selection settings then you know that the silent pickup is either broken or is wired incorrectly - probably with the live tag touching an earth connection somewhere.  To test the pickup, put each tip of the multimeter on one of the leads with the pickup NOT selected and see if you get a beep.  If you get a beep, the pickup is OK.  To test the pickup selector, you'll need to place the black tip on the earth connection and test each pick up connection on every position of the selector switch, listening for any unexpected beeps.  You'll need to pay attention to how the selector is wired, take your time and be ruthlessly methodical.

If you're not hearing any taps from the pickups regardless of selection, it could mean the grounding is happening further down the line - either the tone or volume.  Put the black tip against any part of the earth on a pot, turn all the pots up full and check for leakage by putting the red tip on each of the live out (middle) tags.  Then check the in tags (right hand side when tags are at 12 o'clock) tags on the pot.  When the pots are on full you should get beeps.  If you don't then that means the earth is connected to the live signal somewhere between the locations you've put the multimeter tips.  If still no joy then test the connections between live tags on different pots (turned on full) and see if you get beeps. 

Hi Kiwi

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I was told the other caps were not needed and if fact some people prefer not to use then (not sure why) as I said never attempted anything like this before the main reason I had a go myself is that we know live in Spain and don't know anyone in this area who does this kind of work plus I have a bit of time on my hands as we are in another lockdown, anyway will try your suggestions and see if I can find the problem, all very frustrating.

Cheers

Cookster

• Thanks 1

Yes Kiwi definitely trial and error and you are in the same boat it's all about Flamenco here a lot of shops only sell spanish acoustic guitars and as Dad3353 say's you do need lots of patients I do have two other electric guitars at the mo but the ESP is my favourite just hope these upgrades are a big improvement in the sound and will make it more versatile.

Salud

Cookster 

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

Good luck! If you still can't find the problem then there might be a failed component somewhere but this would be very unusual. 

Ironic that none of us like in the UK,  huh? 

xD Some of us like the UK (at least a bit...), but live elsewhere..!

Edited by Dad3353